Augusta Charter Township, Michigan
|Augusta Charter Township|
Augusta Township Hall
|• Total||36.7 sq mi (95.2 km2)|
|• Land||36.7 sq mi (95.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||679 ft (207 m)|
|• Density||180/sq mi (71/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625863|
- Eaton Mills was a lumber settlement in this county. It had a post office during 1878 and 1879.
- Whittaker is an unincorporated community near the center of the township at . It is also the name of a post office for the ZIP Code 48190 serving the immediate area of the community.
- Willis is an unincorporated community in the northeast corner of the township at  It is also the name of a post office for the ZIP Code 48191 serving most of the eastern portion of the township. .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.7 square miles (95 km2), all land.
As of the 2010 census, there were 6,745 people and 2,433 households residing in the township. The population density was 183.6 per square mile (70.9/km²). There were 2,613 housing units at an average density of 71.1 per square mile (27.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 86.5% White, 7.8% African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.6% Asian, 0.8% from other races, and 2.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.1% of the population.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,813 people, 1,728 households, and 1,384 families residing in the township. The population density was 131.0 per square mile (50.6/km²). There were 1,791 housing units at an average density of 48.7 per square mile (18.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 92.2% White, 5.3% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.2% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.2% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.7% of the population.
There were 1,728 households out of which 34.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.3% were married couples living together, 7.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 19.9% were non-families. 16.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the township the population was spread out with 24.9% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 27.5% from 45 to 64, and 10.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 101.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $65,033, and the median income for a family was $70,444. Males had a median income of $52,367 versus $31,146 for females. The per capita income for the township was $27,509. About 4.8% of families and 5.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.6% of those under age 18 and 14.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Augusta Charter Township, Michigan
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Augusta charter township, Washtenaw County, Michigan". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 6, 2012.
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 174
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Whittaker, Michigan
- Map of 18190 ZIP Code Tabulation Area
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Willis, Michigan
- Map of 18191 ZIP Code Tabulation Area