Williston, South Carolina
Williston, South Carolina
Location of Williston, South Carolina
|• Total||9.0 sq mi (23.3 km2)|
|• Land||9.0 sq mi (23.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||354 ft (108 m)|
|• Density||351/sq mi (135.4/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1227623|
The town lies in the center of the Charleston-Hamburg railroad line, the line of the Best Friend locomotive. The train tracks were removed in the 1990s, but the track site has been designated as historically significant by the South Carolina Department of Archives. This section of the train route is now part of the South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Williston has a total area of 9.0 square miles (23.3 km2), of which 9.0 square miles (23.2 km2) is land and 0.08 square miles (0.2 km2), or 0.70%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,307 people, 1,310 households, and 906 families residing in the town. The population density was 371.7 people per square mile (143.5/km2). There were 1,460 housing units at an average density of 164.1 per square mile (63.3/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 50.80% White, 47.51% African American, 0.36% Native American, 0.09% Pacific Islander, 0.21% from other races, and 1.03% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino people of any race were 0.82% of the population.
There were 1,310 households out of which 33.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.1% were married couples living together, 24.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.8% were non-families. 27.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the town, the population was spread out with 28.0% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 25.9% from 25 to 44, 21.3% from 45 to 64, and 15.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 86.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $26,371, and the median income for a family was $30,990. Males had a median income of $27,829 versus $21,635 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,134. About 26.3% of families and 24.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 31.3% of those under age 18 and 23.5% of those age 65 or over.
There are three schools in the town: Williston-Elko High School, Williston-Elko Middle School, and Kelly Edwards Elementary School. A private school in Blackville, Jefferson-Davis Academy, also serves a portion of the town's population.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Williston town, South Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "South Carolina libraries and archives". SCIWAY. Retrieved 7 June 2019.