The Willkommen Collective is a Brighton based community of musicians, promoters and artists. The collective includes the bands Sons of Noel and Adrian, The Leisure Society, Kristin McClement, The Climbers, The Miserable Rich, Shoreline and many more. They also run a record label, Willkommen Records, and put on monthly gigs in Brighton, England.
The bands share many members and often work collectively. In May 2009, the Willkommen Collective ran three shows as part of a residency at the Brighton Festival. In June, July and August 2009 the collective ran a series of special shows dubbed the "Willkommen takeover..." series including a special event at the Union Chapel, Stanmer House and De La Warr Pavilion. The Stanmer House show has become an annual festival known as Foxtrot and featured Laura Marling and Anna Calvi in 2010 and Herman Dune and Sam Amidon in 2011.
In February 2010 the Collective performed en masse as "The Willkommen Orchestra" at King's Place, London and Brighton Unitarian Church. The set included selections from the repertoire of The Miserable Rich, Shoreline, Sons of Noel and Adrian and the new 'studio supergroup' The Climbers. In the past they have performed showcases at End Of The Road Festival, The Big Chill, Brighton Festival and The Great Escape Festival. In 2010 the Collective took five bands to Positivus festival in Latvia and seven bands to The Big Chill in the UK.
Members of the Collective
The Collective is a sprawling group of individuals with no fixed membership, but these are some key members and some of the bands they have performed with, live and on record:
- Will Calderbank - cello and piano with The Miserable Rich, The Leisure Society, Sons of Noel and Adrian, Shoreline, The Climbers, Gambol, Django Spears and others. He has also plays live with David Thomas Broughton, Mumford & Sons, Laura Marling, My Little Problem, Liam Bailey and others. Calderbank also records under the name Atlas Crease. The name of the Collective is inspired by his name due to his ubiquity.
- Jacob Richardson - guitar and vocals with Sons of Noel and Adrian, Shoreline and The Climbers
- Mike Siddell - violin with The Miserable Rich, The Leisure Society, Sons of Noel and Adrian, Shoreline, The Climbers and more. He was a member of Hope of the States as well as playing live with Bonobo, Lightspeed Champion, Mumford and Sons, Laura Marling and more.
- Tom Cowan - guitar with Shoreline, Sons of Noel and Adrian and Katapults
- Nick Hemming - vocals, guitar, banjo, ukulele and mandolin with The Leisure Society, The Climbers, Shoreline, Sons of Noel and Adrian and more. He is a former member of She Talks To Angels and many more. Hemming also composed music for the Shane Meadows films A Room for Romeo Brass and Dead Man's Shoes, with whom he played with in She Talks To Angels
- Alistair Strachan - trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn and piano with Sons of Noel and Adrian, Mary Hampton, Hamilton Yarns, Shoreline and many more.
- Catherine Cardin - vocals and percussion with Sons of Noel and Adrian, Redwood Red, Laish and The Climbers
- Marcus Hamblett - guitar/mandolin/banjo/tenor horn with Laura Marling, as well as playing various instruments live and/or on record with the likes of Sons of Noel and Adrian, Alessi's Ark, The Mariner's Children, Peggy Sue, The Leisure Society, The Unthanks; Broken Social Scene, Dan Mangan, Willy Mason, Eyes & No Eyes, Lulu and The Lampshades, Damo Suzuki, Rozi Plain, Woodpecker Wooliams and Rachael Dadd.
- Emma Gatrill - clarinet, bass clarinet, harp, accordion and vocals with the likes of Sons of Noel and Adrian, Laura Marling, Rachael Dadd, Rozi Plain, Broken Social Scene, The Mariner's Children, Alessi's Ark, Tristram and Laish.
- Daniel Green - drums and vocals with Sons of Noel and Adrian, guitar and vocals with Laish, has also played live with Laura Marling, Shoreline, Curly Hair and more.
- Helen Whitaker - flute and vocals with The Leisure Society, Sons of Noel and Adrian, Laura Marling and more.
- "Shoreline's Debut Washes Up on the Beach | Dazed". Dazeddigital.com. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- "Willkommen Collective" (DOC). Willkommen Records. Retrieved 2014-07-04.
- "Events · Union Chapel". Unionchapel.org.uk. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- "The Melting Vinyl and Willkommen Foxtrot at Stanmer House". Willkommen Records. 2010-08-05. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- "News | Herman Dune, Peggy Sue, Sam Amidon for Willkommen Foxtrot 2011 | For Folk's Sake". Forfolkssake.com. 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2014-07-03.
- "Today Bexhill - tomorrow Glastonbury!". Bexhill Observer. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
THIS weekend he’ll be performing at the Glastonbury Festival but ahead of that high-profile appearance cellist Will Calderbank took time out to work with young musicians in Bexhill. On Sunday (June 30) the band Mumford and Sons will close the world famous music festival and will feature Brighton-based Will. ... Will’s visit didn’t disappoint and after seeing some footage him in action at a past Glastonbury, with acclaimed singer songwriter Laura Marling
- Calderbank, Will. "atlastcrease's sounds on SoundCloud". Retrieved 26 November 2012.
I play now and again with the Mumford and Sons and Liam Bailey live bands.