Willow (TV channel)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Launched||September 21, 2010|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
(HD feed downgraded to letterboxed 480i for SDTVs)
|Slogan||The home for cricket in North America|
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California|
|Sister channel(s)||NEO Cricket (former competitor; current second feed of Willow's schedule on some providers due to contractual issues)|
|Dish Network||Channel 712|
|Verizon FiOS||Channel 806 (HD)|
|Apple TV||"Willow TV" channel (subscription required)|
WILLOW (Willow Cricket) is an American sports channel which is completely devoted to airing overseas cricket events, including live and recorded matches and other cricket-related programming in English, with the majority of its advertising targeted towards the South Asian diaspora in North America. The network is carried both as a traditional cable channel which airs on cable and satellite systems, and a paid streaming service available on Willow and Apple TV.
The network was launched on September 21, 2010 and broadcasts cricket matches and several cricket-based programs and coverage from around the world. The channel merged with NEO Cricket's American network in February 2013 as that provider drew down their American operations with the Willow name remaining.
Willow's cable channel is available via satellite providers DISH Network and DirecTV, which is available both a la carte and bundled in various South Asian language packs on DISH and the HindiDirect package on DirecTV. It is also available on cable systems like Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision, Charter and Cox, varying between extended sports packages or offered with other South Asian networks.
Willow has operated an Internet portal for live streaming of cricket events at willow.tv since 2010 for a monthly subscription fee. Willow has driven various innovations in the coverage of cricket, like video-based live scorecards and editorials. The website provides subscribers with video streams available on laptops, smartphones and tablets, plus web-connected devices like Roku, Boxee, GoogleTV, Samsung's Internet@TV and Playstation 3. A dedicated app for Willow was added for Apple TV on June 24, 2014.
Willow holds the rights to the matches of the following teams and leagues:
- Cricket Australia
- Bangladesh Cricket Board
- Board of Control for Cricket in India
- Pakistan Cricket Board
- Cricket South Africa
- West Indies cricket team
- Sri Lanka cricket team
- Zimbabwe Cricket
- All ICC events from Nov 2015 to 2023 (Included in the new eight-year period are 18 ICC tournaments, including two ICC Cricket World Cups (2019 and 2023), two ICC Champions Trophy tournaments (2017 and 2021) and two ICC World Twenty20 tournaments (2016 and 2020).
ICC Events 2015-2023
ICC major global events:
- ICC World Twenty20 2016 - India
- ICC Champions Trophy 2017 - England and Wales
- ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 - England and Wales
- ICC World Twenty20 2020 - Australia
- ICC Champions Trophy 2021 - India
- ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 - India
ICC qualifying events:
- ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier 2015 - Ireland and Scotland
- ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2018 - Bangladesh
- ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier 2019 – TBC
- ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier 2022 - Zimbabwe
Other ICC events:
- ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2016 - Bangladesh
- ICC Women's World Cup 2017 - England and Wales
- ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2018 - New Zealand
- ICC Women's World Twenty20 2018 - West Indies
- ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2020 - South Africa
- ICC Women's World Cup 2021 - New Zealand
- ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2022 - West Indies
- ICC Women's World Twenty20 2022 - South Africa
League and other competitions
- England and Wales Cricket Board (home match rights until 2013; home match rights now held by WatchESPN and ONE World Sports)
- Indian Premier League (produced by IMG; moved in 2015 to ESPN/WatchESPN)
Subscription cancellation policy
As of April 2016, Willow.tv does not have an option to cancel subscription online and neither does it have a customer care phone number to contact. To cancel subscription, users have to send a mail to the customer care. Willow has been criticised for slower email response time to cancel subscription and billing customers even after cancelling subscriptions
- "Neo sells broadcasting biz in US to Willow TV". IndianTelevision.com. 13 February 2013. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "Willow Cricket TV Channel subscription Information". Willow TV. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- Kahn, Jordan (24 June 2014). "Apple TV adds ABC News, AOL On, PBS Kids, Willow TV, and redesigned Flickr app". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Consumer complaints for Willow TV - Serving the Silicon Valley BBB". Bbb.org. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- [dead link]