Willshire Township, Van Wert County, Ohio
|Willshire Township, Van Wert County, Ohio|
Grain elevator at Glenmore
Location of Willshire Township in Van Wert County
|• Total||35.7 sq mi (92.6 km2)|
|• Land||35.7 sq mi (92.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||830 ft (253 m)|
|• Density||48.1/sq mi (18.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087097|
Willshire Township is one of the twelve townships of Van Wert County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,719 people in the township, 1,057 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county along the Indiana line, it borders the following townships:
- Harrison Township - north
- Pleasant Township - northeast corner
- Liberty Township - east
- Dublin Township, Mercer County - southeast corner
- Black Creek Township, Mercer County - south
- Blue Creek Township, Adams County, Indiana - southwest
- St. Marys Township, Adams County, Indiana - west
Name and history
It is the only Willshire Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Van Wert County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.