Reading began her singing career in 1959 after singing for friends at a Brisbane jazz club.
Reading performed on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, had a residency at New York City's Copacabana nightclub and toured with Duke Ellington. Additionally, she made numerous appearances on The Morecambe & Wise Show in 1973 and 1974 and played Julie in a West End production of Show Boat, taking over from Cleo Laine. She has performed with the national orchestras of Belgium, the Netherlands, Iceland and Germany and toured with the Moscow Symphony Orchestra. She appeared alongside Jim Brown in the film Pacific Inferno. She has appeared in variety at The London Palladium and performed on BBC TV's, The Good Old Days.
Select singles discography
- 1960: "In My Little Corner Of The World" / "If I Were A Bell" (Rex)
- 1960: "Nature Boy/Fool Fool Fool" (Rex)
- 1961: "I Only Came To Say Goodbye" / "That's How I Go For You" (Rex)
- The Cairns Post "Looking at Wilma Reading"
- Company, Johnson Publishing (12 August 1965). "Ex-softball pitcher set to toss vocal notes for Duke". Jet. Vol. 28 no. 18. pp. 62–63.
- Courier Mail Northern stars
- Walker, Clinton (2000). "Last of the Red Hot Mammas". Buried Country: The Story of Aboriginal Country Music. Pluto Press. pp. 61–62. ISBN 1-86403-152-2.