Wilsden is a village and civil parish in west Bradford, in West Yorkshire, England. Wilsden is 6 miles (9.7 km) west of Bradford and is close to the Aire Valley and the nearby villages of Denholme, Cullingworth, Harden, Cottingley and Allerton. Wilsden re-acquired civil parish status in 2004. The 2001 census revealed a population of 3,697, increasing to 4,807 at the 2011 Census.
Wilsden is recorded as being 'Wealhas-den', which has been suggested as meaning the place or the land of the Welshmen. This is an Anglo-Saxon term as it was believed when they arrived in the Aire Valley, Wilsden was one of the places that the native people retreated to.
In 1886, a railway station was opened on the Queensbury to Keighley line that ran to the west of the village. The station was actually in the hamlet of Harecroft, 2 miles (3.2 km) away, and was closed down in May 1955 to passengers and November 1963 to goods.
Wilsden has many business such as Wilsden Autos, Suite Centre, a Co-op and a post office.
The Ling Bob public house was built in 1836 and was originally known as the Brown Cow Inn. It was situated in the hamlet of Ling Bob, which was separate from the village of Wilsden at that time, however, the locals all knew the pub as the Ling Bob, so the name stuck.
Wilsden Village Hall
Wilsden village hall holds lots of groups like scouting groups, walking group, a weekly auction, a pre-school and others.
- "About Wilsden & Harecroft". Wilsden Parish Council. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Census 2001 : Urban Areas : Table KS01 : Usual Resident Population". Office for National Statistics. Archived from the original on 16 August 2009. Retrieved 26 August 2009.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- Speight, Harry (1898). Chronicles and stories of old Bingley A full account of the history, antiquities, natural productions, scenery, customs and folklore of the ancient town and parish of Bingley, in the West Riding of Yorkshire. London: Eliott Stock. pp. 62–70. OCLC 620352036.
- Armour, Chris. "Wilsden". Disused Stations. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- Barnett, David (31 January 2011). "The story of the woman with a special gift". Telegraph and Argus. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- Hansen, Astrid (2001). Wilsden. Wilsden: Astrid Hansen. p. 37. OCLC 876778579.
- "Regular Events". www.wilsdenvillagehall.com. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wilsden.|
|This West Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|