Wilson (2017 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Craig Johnson|
|Written by||Daniel Clowes|
by Daniel Clowes
|Music by||Jon Brion|
|Edited by||Paul Zucker|
|Distributed by||Fox Searchlight Pictures|
Wilson is a 2017 American comedy-drama film directed by Craig Johnson and written by Daniel Clowes, based on Clowes' graphic novel Wilson. The film stars Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern, Isabella Amara, Judy Greer, and Cheryl Hines.
- Woody Harrelson as Wilson, Pippi’s estranged husband and Claire’s father
- Laura Dern as Lynn (Pippi), Wilson’s estranged wife, Claire’s mother and Polly’s sister
- Isabella Amara as Claire, the 17 year-old daughter of Wilson and Lynn (Pippi) and Polly’s niece
- Judy Greer as Shelly
- Cheryl Hines as Polly, Lynn's sister and Claire’s aunt
- Margo Martindale as Alta
- David Warshofsky as Orson
- Brett Gelman as Robert
- Mary Lynn Rajskub as Jodie
- Lauren Weedman as Cat Lady
The film rights to Clowes' graphic novel Wilson were originally purchased by Fox Searchlight for Alexander Payne to direct. Filming was slated to begin in Minneapolis, Minnesota in June 2015. By June 25, 2015, Judy Greer and Cheryl Hines joined the cast, and filming had begun.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 47% based on 131 reviews, with a weighted average of 5.45/10. The site's critical consensus reads: "Woody Harrelson delivers a solid performance as Wilson's titular grump, but the movie surrounding him can't quite manage to make the character's sour outlook consistently relatable." On Metacritic, the film has a score of 49 out of 100, based on 34 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "2017 Sundance Film Festival Printable Film Guide" (PDF). Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- "Wilson (2017)". The Wrap. Retrieved March 26, 2017.
- "Wilson (2017)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
- Fleming, Mike (November 18, 2010). "'Wilson' Lands At Fox Searchlight With Alexander Payne". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- Kit, Borys (May 27, 2015). "Woody Harrelson's Comic Adaptation 'Wilson' Comes Together With Laura Dern Co-Starring (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (June 25, 2015). "Judy Greer, Cheryl Hines Join Woody Harrelson's 'Wilson'". Variety. Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- Patten, Dominic (December 5, 2016). "Sundance 2017: Robert Redford, New Rashida Jones Netflix Series, 'Rebel In The Rye' & More On Premiere, Docu, Midnight & Kids Slates". Deadline.com. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
- Fox Searchlight [@foxsearchlight] (August 3, 2016). "On March 3, 2017 - #WoodyHarrelson is WILSON. Based on the graphic novel by @danielclowes & starring @LauraDern @missjudygreer! #WilsonMovie" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (November 3, 2016). "Fox Searchlight's Graphic Novel Adaptation 'Wilson' Moves Back Three Weeks". Deadline.com. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- "Wilson (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 20, 2020.
- "Wilson reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved June 15, 2017.