Wilson Bryan Key
Wilson Bryan Key Ph.D. (January 31, 1925 – October 8, 2008) was the author of several books about subliminal messages and subliminal advertising.
Key obtained his doctorate in communications from the University of Denver and taught journalism for a short period of time at the University of Western Ontario. He was a colleague and friend of Marshall McLuhan.
In a 1990 a Reno, Nevada court case against Judas Priest regarding subliminal messages and a suicide pact between two young men gained international attention. Key was a witness in this case; however, the case was dismissed against Judas Priest and their record company, CBS Corporation.
- Subliminal Seduction: Are You Being Sexually Aroused By This Picture? a.k.a. Ad Media's Manipulation of a Not So Innocent America (1974). Introduction by Marshall McLuhan. Prentice-Hall, Inc. Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 73-5421.
- Media Sexploitation (1976). Prentice-Hall, Inc.
- The Clam-Plate Orgy: And Other Subliminal Techniques for Manipulating Your Behavior (1980). Signet.
- reissued as Subliminal Ad-Ventures in Erotic Art (1992). Branden Books. ISBN 0828319510
- The Age of Manipulation: The Con in Confidence, The Sin in Sincere (1989). H. Holt.
His results and conclusions have been challenged, in books including the following:
- Boese, Alex (2006). Hippo Eats Dwarf: A Field Guide to Hoaxes and Other B.S. Harcourt, Inc. ISBN 0-15-603083-7.
- Moore, Timothy E. (Spring 1992). "Subliminal Perception: Facts and Fallacies". Skeptical Inquirer 16 (3): 273–81. Reprinted in Encounters with the Paranormal: Science, Knowledge, and Belief, edited by Kendrick Frazier, Prometheus Books, 1998, 253-63. ISBN 1-57392-203-X
- Pratkanis, Anthony R. (Spring 1992). "Myths of Subliminal Persuasion: The Cargo-cult Science of Subliminal Persuasion". Skeptical Inquirer 16 (3): 260–72. Reprinted in Encounters with the Paranormal: Science, Knowledge, and Belief, edited by Kendrick Frazier, Prometheus Books, 1998, 240-52. ISBN 1-57392-203-X
- Programming the Nation?
- The Secret Sales Pitch: An Overview of Subliminal Advertising (2004), by August Bullock. Norwich Publishers. ISBN 0-9742640-0-8.
- Dream Deceivers: The Story of James Vance & Judas Priest
- "Wilson Bryan Key". Find a Grave. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- The Straight Dope: "Are subliminal messages secretly embedded in advertisements?" (1987)
- Wilson Bryan Key's words? Or Joan Peyser's?
- Interview with Wilson Bryan Key. Source Material for Brainwash: The Secret History of Mind Control (by phone, March 27, 2005)
|This article about a United States writer of non-fiction is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|