Current Day Wilson Staff Logo (2011)
Wilson Staff is the professional and advanced amateur golf products division of Wilson Sporting Goods. Wilson designs and manufactures a full range of golf equipment, accessories, and apparel using the Wilson Staff, Wilson, ProStaff, Profile, and Hope brands. Wilson's other lines are generally considered to be "big box," "value," or "economy" brands, while the Wilson Staff line provides higher quality equipment used on all major professional golf tours.
Many of the world's top professional golfers have used Wilson equipment, including Gene Sarazen (who had a 75-year relationship with the company, the longest-running contract in sports history). Other golfers who have used Wilson Staff equipment include Sam Snead, Walter Hagen, Arnold Palmer, Nick Faldo, Payne Stewart, John Daly, Ben Crenshaw, and Vijay Singh. Palmer and Crenshaw both used Wilson 8802 putters, with Crenshaw's receiving the moniker Little Ben due to his proficiency with it. Current Wilson Staff players include Open and USPGA champion Pádraig Harrington as well as Kevin Streelman.
Wilson Staff's place in golf history
In 1932 Wilson Advisory staff member Gene Sarazen was inspired by the aerodynamics of an airplane's wing to create a club head that would glide smoothly through sand. Sarazen welded a piece of steel to the sole of the club and ground it producing ‘bounce’. This marked the introduction of the sand wedge and in 1933 alone, Wilson sold 50,000 of these clubs, marketed as the R-90, which went on to be the most popular sand wedge in golf.
In 1933 Wilson Advisory Staff member Willie Ogg created a design for distributing weight away from the heel of the club head, moving it towards the “sweet spot” of the blade. This design feature was used in the Wilson Ogg-mented irons, the forerunner of perimeter weighted or cavity back irons.
In 1954 Wilson began producing the Wilson Staff ball which was seen as revolutionary due to its ability to launch up to 40 percent faster than the golf club's head speed.
Wilson Staff currently markets the following equipment.
- Wilson Staff: D-200, D-200 Women's,
Fairways & Hybrids
- Wilson Staff: D-100 Fairway Woods, D-200 Hybrids, D-200 Women's Fairway Woods, D-200 Women's Hybrids,
- Wilson Staff: FG Tour 100, FG Tour V4, FG Tour M3, C100, D100 ES, D200, D200 Women's,
- Wilson Staff: FG Tour TC (includes FG Tour TC Black and Gun Metal Blue PVD)
- Wilson Staff: 8802, Infinite Series (Windy City, Michigan Ave, Lake Shore, Grant Park, North Side, South Side, Women's Windy City) , Vizor Level 2 M1, Vizor Level 2 M2, Vizor Level 2 M3, Vizor Level 2 M4
- Wilson Staff: FG Tour, DUO Spin, DUO, DUO Yellow, Fifty Elite, Fifty Elite Orange, Fifty Elite Yellow, Fifty Elite Pink, Zip
Miscellaneous items and Accessories
- Wilson Staff: golf caps and visors, belts, golf towels, golf bags (staff, cart and stand types as well as golf bags with NFL team logos), travel bags, golf umbrellas, golf club head covers and golf gloves.
Wilson Staff claims that its line of irons has "more majors won than any other brand." Players using Wilson Staff clubs have won a total of 61 majors.
In the past, Wilson has had many of the world best golfers under contract, including 6 time major winner Nick Faldo. Wilson Staff currently has endorsement deals with many professional golfers who compete on all the major tours.
Ladies European Tour
- Maria Balikoeva (formerly Verchenova)