Wilson Township, Clinton County, Ohio
|Wilson Township, Clinton County, Ohio|
Overview of the Beam Farm Woodland Archaeological District
Location of Wilson Township in Clinton County
|• Total||24.7 sq mi (64.1 km2)|
|• Land||24.7 sq mi (63.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,112 ft (339 m)|
|• Density||20/sq mi (7.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085888|
Located in the northeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jasper Township, Fayette County - northeast
- Richland Township - southeast
- Union Township - southwest
- Liberty Township - west
- Jefferson Township, Greene County - northwest
The entire township lies in the Virginia Military District.
No municipalities are located in Wilson Township, but it does contain the unincorporated community of Bloomington.
Name and history
The only Wilson Township statewide, it is named for Amos Wilson, one of the earliest settlers of the county, who arrived in approximately 1796.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- Clinton County Historical Society. Clinton County, Ohio, 1982. Wilmington, Ohio: The Society, 1982.
- Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 6th ed. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme, 2001. ISBN 0-89933-281-1
- Ohio. Secretary of State. The Ohio municipal and township roster, 2002-2003. Columbus, Ohio: The Secretary, 2003.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Wilson township, Clinton County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 23, 2015.
- Brown, Albert J. (1915). History of Clinton County, Ohio: Its People, Industries, and Institutions. B.F. Bowen. p. 323.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.