|63rd Governor of Rio de Janeiro|
1 January 2019
|Vice Governor||Cláudio Castro (elect)|
|Succeeding||Francisco Dornelles (acting)|
Wilson José Witzel
19 February 1968
Jundiaí, São Paulo, Brazil
|Alma mater||Fluminense Federal University|
|Occupation||Politician, Lawyer, Professor of Economic Criminal Law|
|Known for||Ex-Federal Judge|
Wilson José Witzel (Jundiaí, 19 February of 1968) better known as Wilson Witzel, Governor-elect of the state of Rio de Janeiro, is a lawyer, ex-federal judge, ex-marine and member of the Brazilian (PSC). On October 28, 2018, he was elected Governor of the State of Rio de Janeiro with a 4-year term beginning in January 2019 replacing Luiz Fernando Pezão.
Witzel holds a doctorate in Political Science from Federal University of Fluminense (UFF), master in Civil Law and professor of Criminal Law. for more than 20 years. As a federal judge, he served in different civil and criminal courts, in Rio de Janeiro and in Vitória (Espírito Santo).
He officialized his candidacy to the position of Governor of the State of Rio de Janeiro on 21 July 2018, having as its deputy the councilman of Rio de Janeiro Cláudio Castro, also of the PSC.
In the first survey, Wilson Witzel obtained only 1% of the intentions of votes, tying with André Monteiro (PRTB), Dayse Oliveira (PSTU) and Marcelo Trindade (NOVO), being ahead only of Luiz Eugênio Honorato (PCO) and getting behind of Romário (PODE), Eduardo Paes (DEM), Anthony Garotinho(PRP), Tarcisio Motta (PSOL), Indio da Costa (PSD), Pedro Fernandes (PDT) and Marcia Tiburi (PT).
It grew to 17% of the votes valid in the last poll before the first round, still behind Eduardo Paes, who had 27% and tied with Romario, surprising everyone, much because of Witzel's lack of knowledge in the state and only 27 seconds of electoral propaganda time.
On 7 October 2018, in the first round of the general elections in Brazil, Wilson Witzel reached the mark of 41.28% of the valid votes (3,154,771 votes) getting first; against 19.56% valid votes (1,494,831 votes) of Eduardo Paes, of the DEM, former mayor of Rio de Janeiro, with both going to the second round; and third place Tarcísio Motta with 10.72% of valid votes; being promoted by the search of the renewal in the politics, by the rejection to the opponents and the public support to the candidate for the presidency of Brazil Jair Bolsonaro, of the PSL. The result turned out to be a surprise, since in the first surveys appeared with 9 percent of the votes. According to the political scientist and counselor of the Conscious Vote Movement, Humberto Dantas, "Witzel has a very affective trajectory to the time we live in. He makes the discourse against corruption, to clean up politics." considered by the local press as of right-of-center ideology.
In the second round of the elections, Wilson Witzel received support from the candidate of the (PRTB) André Monteiro; received support from the (PR) (Brazil), which had the federal deputy Marcelo Delaroli as vice in the Romário (PODE); received the support of the PSD, which is the party of the defeated candidate Indio of the Coast, who first remained neutral  saying he does not support Wilson Witzel, but few days later decided to declare his support for Wilson Witzel; and the candidate Pedro Fernandes (PDT), contradicting the decision of his party, which announced support for Eduardo Paes (DEM) 
On 28 October 2018, in the second round of the [general elections in Brazil], Wilson Witzel PSC reached the mark of 59.87% of the valid votes (4,675,355 votes) being in first place and elected new Governor of the State of Rio de Janeiro with a mandate of 4 years from January/2019; against 40.13% valid votes (3,134,400 votes) by Eduardo Paes, from DEM.
- Wilson Witzel (PSC) - Candidato a Governador, Número 20
- Wilson Witzel, do PSC, é eleito governador do RJ
- Jundiaiense está no segundo turno para o governo do RJ - fonte: Tribuna de Jundiaí (07/10/2018)
- Candidate for Governor Wilson Witzel
- PSC oficializa candidatura de Wilson Witzel ao governo do Rio de Janeiro
- PSC-RJ anuncia vice na chapa de Wilson Witzel ao governo do Estado
- Plano de Governo Wilson Witzel Coligação “Mais Ordem, Mais Progresso” PSC – Pros 20 Governo do Estado do Rio de Janeiro - Eleições 2018 - Fonte: Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (TSE)
- IBOPE: Romário, Paes e Garotinho empatam na disputa pelo governo do Rio
- Datafolha governador - Rio de Janeiro: Paes, 27%; Romário e Witzel, 17%; Índio, 13%
- Wilson Witzel (PSC) diz ter certeza que o próximo presidente será Jair Bolsonaro
- Bolsonaro allies ride conservative wave in Brazil elections - Upsets include little-known judge beating Rio Olympics mayor in state governor race - The Guardian (Mon 8 Oct 2018)
- Indigenous, Transgender Candidates Among Brazil Surprises - The New York Times (October 8, 2018)
- Eduardo Paes e Wilson Witzel disputarão 2º turno no Rio de Janeiro
- André Monteiro (PRTB) declara apoio a Wilson Witzel (PSC) no segundo turno do Rio de Janeiro
- PR bate o martelo e anuncia apoio a Wilson Witzel no segundo turno do Rio
- PSD anuncia apoio a Wilson Witzel (PSC) no 2º turno da eleição para governador do RJ
- Witzel ganha apoio de políticos de outros partidos e de rivais do 1º turno - Fonte: Jornal O Globo (10/10/2018)
- Pedro Fernandes, do PDT, anuncia apoio a Wilson Witzel no RJ
- Wilson Witzel diz que 'esperança renasceu' e agradece ligação de Paes após ser eleito - Com 100% dos votos apurados, segundo o Tribunal Superior Eleitoral, Witzel teve 4.675.355 (59,87%) dos votos válidos e Paes, 3.134.400 votos (40,13%) - Fonte: G1.Globo.com
- Eleições 2018: Quem é Wilson Witzel, o juiz que venceu a eleição de governador do Rio com discurso radical - Fonte: R7/BBC
| 63rd Governor of Rio de Janeiro
Taking office 2019