Wimbledon Park tube station
Location of Wimbledon Park in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Merton|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||2|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|3 June 1889||Opened (DR)|
|1 July 1889||Started (L&SWR)|
|1994||Transferred to LUL|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portal|
Wimbledon Park is a London Underground station in Wimbledon. The station is on the District line and is between Southfields and Wimbledon stations. The station is located on Arthur Road close to the junction with Melrose Avenue close to the eastern side of Wimbledon Park. It is about 200 m west of Durnsford Road (A218) and is in Travelcard Zone 3.
The station was opened by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) on 3 June 1889 on an extension from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon. The extension was built by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) which, starting on 1 July 1889, ran its own trains over the line from a connection at East Putney to its Clapham Junction to Barnes line.
The section of the District line from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon was the last part of the line to be converted from steam operation to electric. Electric trains began running on 27 August 1905.
Main line services through Wimbledon Park were ended by the Southern Railway (successor to the L&SWR) on 4 May 1941, although the line remained in British Rail ownership until 1 April 1994 when it was transferred to London Underground. Until the transfer, the station was branded as a British Rail station. The route from Wimbledon to Wandsworth Town (Point Pleasant Junction) is still used by South West Trains for empty stock movements and occasional service train diversions, as well as three daily South West Trains services which run to and from Waterloo via the route in the early hours of the morning; so South West Trains trains pass through Wimbledon Park station on a daily basis, but without stopping. There are very infrequent movements of Network Rail engineering trains and light engine movements through the station as well.
London Buses route 156 serve the station.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. April 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2016.
- "PSUL 2016 - Greater London" Maund, R; Passenger Train Services over Unusual Lines; Retrieved 26 May 2016
- "Cricketer Tom Maynard dies after being hit by London Underground train". BBC News. 18 June 2012. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
- Scott-Elliott, Robin (18 June 2012). "Surrey cricketer Tom Maynard dies after being hit by London Underground train after trying to escape police". The Independent. London. Retrieved 6 August 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wimbledon Park tube station.|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|