WinOps (a portmanteau of "Windows" and "DevOps") is a term used referring to the cultural movement of DevOps practices for a Microsoft-centric view. It emphasizes the use of the cloud, automation and integrating development and IT operations into one fluid method on the Windows platform.
The term 'WinOps' was coined at the London DevOps meetup held at Facebook in June 2015. As an amalgamation of Windows and DevOps, it represents the new emphasis on using existing DevOps methodologies in the traditionally less open-source Microsoft space.
Since the first WinOps conference in September 2015, there have been multiple meetups and a second conference which was held in May 2016. The WinOps meetup group has an active community with over 1,000 members. Their motto is "Windows in a DevOps World". They focus on shared experiences using Windows centred products and tools for establishing DevOps goals.
The Linux challenge
Windows and Linux are very different; not just technologically, but philosophically. Tools are a major component to establishing DevOps, and the lack of Windows-centric tools limited early Windows DevOps adoptions as most initial supporting technologies emerged from Linux and open-source communities. WinOps boils down to addressing the same challenges as DevOps, using different tools.
|Visual Studio Release Management||Microsoft|
- Weinberger, Matt (25 November 2014), Microsoft study finds everybody wants DevOps but Culture is a Challenge, Computerworld
- "Microsoft announces open source blockchain-based identity platform for Azure". v3.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
- Wright, Jonathon. "WinOps - Continuous Delivery with Azure". Retrieved 2018-08-01.
- Digital, Prism (2015-10-16). "Prism Digital's world first conference". Medium. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
- "WinOps Conference London #2". Sam Martin. 2016-05-26. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
- "WinOps Conf 2016 - DevOps-ification of Windows Server - Skelton Thatcher Consulting". Skelton Thatcher Consulting. 2016-05-28. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
- Digital, Prism (2016-06-01). "WinOps Conf". Medium. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
- Eagles, Harry (24 May 2016). "DevOps Technology in a Windows World". Microsoft TechNet.
- Thair, Steve (24 March 2015), DevOps for Windows "In the Wild", DevOps Exchange London, London