He is editor-in-chief of Tin House magazine and Tin House Books, the former publisher of Oregon Magazine, founder and treasurer of MediAmerica, Inc., and a co-founder of Mother Jones magazine. He serves on the board of directors of the journal New Perspectives Quarterly. His political and social writings have appeared in Oregon Humanities, Tin House, The Nation, The Oregonian, and Oregon Magazine. McCormack's investigative coverage of the Rajneeshee movement was awarded a William Allen White Commendation from the University of Kansas and the City and Regional Magazine Association.
As a political activist, McCormack served as Chair of the Oregon Steering Committee for Gary Hart's 1984 presidential campaign. He was chair of the Democratic Party of Oregon's President's Council and a member of the Obama for President Oregon Finance Committee. Additionally, McCormack sits on the Board of Overseers for Emerson College, and is a co-founder of the Los Angeles–based Liberty Hill Foundation.
- 2008 You Don't Know Me: A Citizen's Guide to Republican Family Values. Portland, Oregon: Tin House Books. ISBN 978-1-135-89772-7.
- 2010 The Rajneesh Chronicles. Portland, Oregon: Tin House Books. ISBN 978-0-9825691-9-1.
- "WIN MCCORMACK". Archived from the original on September 14, 2008. Retrieved 2013-11-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "NPQ". Digitalnpq.org. Retrieved 2016-10-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-09-05. Retrieved 2008-09-01.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "About Emerson | Emerson College". Emerson.edu. Retrieved 2016-10-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- About: History, Liberty Hill Foundation website, Undated. Retrieved 2 February 2017.
- Byers, Dylan. "The New Republic is sold by Facebook co-founder Chris Hughes". CNNMoney. Retrieved 2016-02-27.
- Trotter, J.K. "Chris Hughes Sells The New Republic to Win McCormack". Gawker. Retrieved 22 November 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Alpert, Lukas I. "Chris Hughes Sells New Republic to Liberal Publisher Win McCormack". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 22 November 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Home". Retrieved 26 November 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)