|Traded as||LSE: WIN|
|Headquarters||Chippenham, United Kingdom|
|Stewart Oades (Chairman)|
Adrian Colman (CEO)
Supply chain management
|Revenue||£1,171.9 million (2018)|
|£44.4 million (2018)|
|£31.2 million (2018)|
Wincanton plc is a British provider of logistics with its origins in milk haulage. The company provides transport and logistics services including specialist automated high bay, high capacity warehouses, and supply chain management for businesses. It also provides container transportation and storage, warehousing solutions and related services such as health and safety, IT services and people transition to numerous industries.
Wincanton's specialist markets include retail, consumer goods, construction, dairy, defence, industrial, fuels and energy. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a former constituent of the FTSE 250 Index. Head offices are based in Chippenham, Wiltshire in the United Kingdom.
Wincanton was founded in 1925, as Wincanton Transport & Engineering Ltd, a subsidiary of the West Surrey Central Dairy Company, a company which has since been known as Cow & Gate, Unigate and presently Uniq. In the 1970s, Wincanton diversified into new market sectors including petroleum and developed temperature controlled operations for the transportation of food stuffs and refrigerated goods.
In the 1990s, Wincanton merged with Unigate Chilled Distribution, and entered the retail market through the acquisition of Glass Glover. In March 2001, Wincanton plc demerged from Uniq, and was listed on the London Stock Exchange.
In November 2015, Wincanton sold its records management business (WRM) to Restore for approximately £55.7m to reduce its average net indebtedness, and allow room for growth. In February 2016, Wincanton partnered with Magnet Kitchens to produce forty four new double decker articulated trailers which was an investment of £2 million.
In March 2016, Wincanton launched EnergyLink, a network based in the United Kingdom to support greater flexibility in delivery services for the energy sector. Wincanton gained further growth of its operations at the Port of Southampton after moving to a new base and investing in new equipment, supported by extra rail capacity in April 2016.
In July 2016, Wincanton renewed a contract with The Co-operative Group for a further five years, which brings the contract to twenty five years. As part of the agreement, around seven hundred staff of Wincanton and a fleet of more than five hundred vehicles will support the Co-op, by making around 130k journeys each year to as many as 1,000 stores of the Co-op across the United Kingdom.
Wincanton currently directly employs in the region of 17,500 people across the United Kingdom and Ireland through a network of over two hundred sites. As of 2016, the Wincanton fleet comprises over 3,400 vehicles including conventional trucks and trailers, as well as a range of specialist equipment including skeletal trailers, tankers and construction vehicles.
Wincanton offers road transport and distribution, container logistics, specialist transport to construction sites, tankers for all liquid and powder products, including petroleum and lubricants, home delivery and fleet management and vehicle maintenance through its subsidiary business, Pullman Fleet Services.
Wincanton offers dedicated and shared user warehousing, bonded warehousing and other services. These include co packing, automation, eFulfilment, off quay solutions, returns management, recycling and packaging.
- "Annual Report 2018" (PDF). Wincanton plc. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "Wincanton Journey". Wincanton Plc. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Reliable, scalable, collaborative and flexible supply chain services". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Supply Chain & Logistic Sector Experts - Wincanton". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Wincaton Journey". Wincanton Plc. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Wincanton | 1925 to today, follow Wincanton's history". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Unigate buys Glass Glover". Herald Scotland. 16 February 1993. Retrieved 22 June 2018.
- "Reports and presentations". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Partnership pioneers unique double decker articulated trailers". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Wincanton launches new energy sector services". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Wincanton logistics expands at Port of Southampton". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Contract Renewal with Sainsbury's - RNS - London Stock Exchange". www.londonstockexchange.com. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Bell, Richard. "The Co-op signs five-year logistics deal with Wincanton plc". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Wincanton | transport, storage, supply chain innovation". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Transport and Logistics Management - Transport Companies UK". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Warehousing logistics and services from Wincanton". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- "Value Added Services - Value Chain at Wincanton". www.wincanton.co.uk. Retrieved 2 August 2016.