This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2018)
|Founded||October 18, 1948Temple City, California, U.S.in|
Number of locations
|6 western states, Guam, Saipan, Saudi Arabia|
|Bob Zanolli (President)|
Yum Yum Donut Shops, Inc. (2004–present)
Winchell's Donuts House is an international doughnut company and coffeehouse chain founded by Verne Winchell on October 8, 1948, in Temple City, California. Currently, there are over 170 stores in 6 western states, as well as Guam, Saipan, and Saudi Arabia. Several stores also operated in Nagoya, Japan in the past, with most stores located inside Uny supermarkets, as Uny Co., Ltd. was the master franchise holder in Japan. It is headquartered in the City of Industry, California.
The chain's slogan is "Home of the Warm 'n Fresh Donut," and it claims to be the West Coast's largest doughnut chain. It also offers its customers a 14-doughnut dozen, as opposed to the standard baker's dozen of 13.
In 2004, Winchell's was purchased by Yum-Yum Donuts, a company which operates 70 donut shops under its own name, but continues to operate Winchell's shops under their name.
In the early 2000s, Winchell's closed its shops in Portland, Oregon and they were replaced by "Heavenly Donuts".
In 2005, it withdrew from the Kansas City area, and most locations became Krispy Kreme.
- ^ Hernandez, Greg (September 30, 1999). "Winchell's Gears Up for Doughnut War". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- ^ a b "Home". Winchell’s Donut House. Retrieved 2022-12-21.
- ^ Wotapka, Dawn (August 13, 2004). "Yum Yum to Devour Winchell's Doughnuts". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved June 11, 2014.
- Doughnut shops
- Bakeries of California
- Fast-food chains of the United States
- Regional restaurant chains in the United States
- Companies based in the City of Industry, California
- Companies based in Los Angeles County, California
- Restaurants established in 1948
- 1948 establishments in California
- Economy of the Western United States
- Restaurants in California
- Restaurants in Saudi Arabia