Winchester Township, Adams County, Ohio
|Winchester Township, Adams County, Ohio|
Agricultural scene west of Winchester
Location of Winchester Township in Adams County
|• Total||32.7 sq mi (84.7 km2)|
|• Land||32.7 sq mi (84.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||971 ft (296 m)|
|• Density||68/sq mi (26.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085688|
Winchester Township is one of the fifteen townships of Adams County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 2,208 people in the township, 1,157 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Concord Township, Highland County - north
- Scott Township - east
- Wayne Township - south
- Jackson Township, Brown County - southwest
- Eagle Township, Brown County - northwest
The village of Winchester is located in western Winchester Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Brush township, Adams County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- Evans, Nelson Wiley (1900). A History of Adams County, Ohio: From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time. E B. Stivers. p. 492.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.