Winchester Transit Center
|VTA light rail station|
Station with train waiting to depart, September 20, 2012
|Location||2400 Winchester Boulevard
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||VTA Bus Routes 37, 48, 49, 60, 101|
Winchester Transit Center is a light rail station and park-and-ride lot operated by Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) in Campbell, California. Winchester is the southern terminus of the Mountain View–Winchester light rail line.
Platforms and tracks
|VTA||Northbound||← Mountain View (Downtown Campbell)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left or right|
|Northbound||← Mountain View (Downtown Campbell)|
|Union Pacific||Freight branch line; No passenger service|
Winchester station was built as part of the Vasona Light Rail extension project. This project extended VTA light rail service from the intersection of Woz Way and West San Carlos St in San Jose in a southwesterly direction, terminating at this station.
The station began service on October 1, 2005, after a delay of some months after a dispute with the Federal Railroad Administration.
The construction of this station and the rest of the Vasona Light Rail extension was part of the 1996 Measure B Transportation Improvement Program. Santa Clara County voters approved the Measure B project in 1996 along with a one half percent sales tax increase. The Vasona Light Rail extension was funded mostly by the resulting sales tax revenues with additional money coming from federal and state funding, grants, VTA bond revenues, and municipal contributions.
The construction of the Winchester station ended the 74 years that Campbell was without Lightrail service. "The San Jose Railroads and the Peninsular Railway Company of San Jose" petitioned to stop street car trolley service after the death of Henry C. Blackwood in 1931 and the costs that the railroad would endure with the new state highway being built.
Nearby points of interest
- John D. Morgan Park
- VTA Bus Route 38 - Monterey & Senter to Winchester Transit Center
- VTA Shuttle Route 48 - Winchester Transit Center to Los Gatos via Winchester
- VTA Shuttle Route 49 - Winchester Transit Center to Los Gatos via Los Gatos Boulevard
- VTA Bus Route 60 - Winchester & Knowles to Great America
- VTA Express Bus Route 101 - Camden & Hwy. 85 to Palo Alto
- "Vasona Project Description". Completed projects. Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. 2008-09-15. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Making the Light Rail Connection: Expanded Service Adds 5.3 miles to System". Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority. 2005-10-01. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- Railroads may Quit 2 lines - Permit to abandon service to Los Gatos, Alum Rock Park Sought, San Jose News, Dec 12, 1931
- "John D. Morgan Park". Campbell, CA. Retrieved 2017-02-22.
- Media related to Winchester Transit Center at Wikimedia Commons
- Park & Ride Lots - Winchester Light Rail Station at VTA
|This Santa Clara County, California train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|