Wind power in North Dakota
North Dakota is a leading U.S. state in wind power generation, 21.5 percent of all in state generated electricity in 2016. As of the end of 2016, 2996 megawatts (MW) of generation capacity had been installed for wind power in North Dakota. Additional capacity is limited by transmission line constraints. Completion of a transmission line from Fargo to central Minnesota in 2015 will alleviate the problem.
Very favorable wind conditions in the state enable wind farms to achieve capacity factors in excess of 40 percent. The Thunder Spirit wind farm, completed in 2015, is expected to have a capacity factor greater than 45 percent.
List of wind farms in North Dakota
The following is a partial list of North Dakota wind farms.
|Ashtabula Wind Farm||196|
|Baldwin Wind Farm||102|
|Bison Wind Energy Center||497|
|Brady Wind Farm (i & ii)||299||2016|
|Courtenay Wind Farm||200||2016|
|Langdon Wind Energy Center||159|
|Lindahl Wind Farm||150||2017|
|Luverne Wind Farm||169.5|
|Oliver Wind Energy Center||98.6|
|Prairie Winds Wind Farm||122.6|
|Rugby Wind Farm||149.1|
|Sunflower Wind Farm||109||2016|
|Tatanka Wind Farm||91.5*|
- * In North Dakota
|North Dakota Wind Generation (GWh, Million kWh)|
- "North Dakota Wind Energy" (PDF). U.S. Wind Energy State Facts. American Wind Energy Association. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "CapX Quarterly, Feb. 2014" (PDF). CapX2020. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- Nordex to supply 43, 2.5 MW turbines for Thunder Spirit project in North Dakota
- Montana-Dakota Utilities Acquires Thunder Spirit Wind Farm
- EIA Electric Power Monthly Mar. 2015
- Bison Wind Energy Center
- 2016 AWEA Fourth Quarter Market Report Public Version
- "FERC Electric Infrastructure Update". Electric Light and Power. PennWell Corporation. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Wind farm approved for Tioga". WDAY. Retrieved 2015-12-08.
- "Enel's Lindahl Wind Farm Kicks Off Operations In North Dakota". nawindpower.com. Zackin Publications, Inc. Retrieved 27 April 2017.
- Nordex wind turbines ordered for North Dakota project
- EIA (July 27, 2012). "Electric Power Monthly Table 1.17.A". United States Department of Energy. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- EIA (July 27, 2012). "Electric Power Monthly Table 1.17.B". United States Department of Energy. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wind power in North Dakota.|