Windsor International Airport
|Windsor International Airport|
|IATA: YQG – ICAO: CYQG
– WMO: 71538
|Owner||Windsor City Council|
|Operator||Your Quick Gateway, Inc.|
|Time zone||EST (UTC−05:00)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC−04:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||622 ft / 190 m|
Windsor International Airport, (IATA: YQG, ICAO: CYQG), is located in the southeast portion of the city of Windsor, Ontario, Canada. The airport serves a mixture of scheduled airline flights and general aviation, and is a popular point of entry into Canada for private and business aircraft. The airspace above the airport is exceptionally busy because of the proximity to Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport, and Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) arrivals and departures are handled by Detroit approach control.
The airport is classified as an airport of entry by NAV CANADA and is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency. CBSA officers at this airport can handle aircraft up to 325 passengers. However, they can handle up to 450 if the aircraft is unloaded in stages.
The airport opened in 1928 as Walker Airport, named after Hiram Walker, a 19th-century whiskey distiller. In 1967, the airport was added to the national portfolio of Canadian airports, citing its increasing importance as a regional airport hub for Southwestern Ontario, serving the areas between Detroit, Michigan and London, Ontario, rather than being a simple landing strip (as it originally was).
In 2006, Serco Aviation Services Inc. announced that was requesting early termination of its contract with the City of Windsor regarding its management of the Airport, as Windsor Airport had been losing around CAD$40,000 per month. The City of Windsor accepted Serco's withdrawal and prepared to operate the airport itself, but with a large deficit. On July 1, 2007, Serco handed over operations of the airport to the City of Windsor, and ceased to be its operator. Windsor City Council had approved of an ad hoc group to run the airport on behalf of the city, named "Your Quick Gateway Inc." (after the airport's call letters, YQG). This private organization was originally formed by the Windsor City Council, and was supposed to be a "temporary band-aid solution" until another operator was found. However, on November 14, the Windsor Star had reported that since Your Quick Gateway was so successful in managing the airport (it had managed to pull a small profit in recent months of running Windsor Airport), that it was given permission to run Windsor Airport indefinitely in this manner.
The airport has additional land bounded by farm land along Division Road and Lauzon Parkway for future airport expansion.
In 2012 the Windsor Star reported that airport traffic had increased over 160% since 2008, with over 250,000 passengers passing through the airport in 2012, their busiest year ever. This has widely been attributed to aggressive efforts to attract more flights to existing destinations, and to new destinations. Porter Airlines began flying from Windsor to Toronto Billy Bishop airport in 2011, and the success has been noticeable, with Porter Airlines declaring that Windsor is one of its most successful new markets. However, 37% of the local market still use Detroit Metro Airport as its airport of choice.
In early October 2013 the City of Windsor announced that $12.7 million would be invested into Windsor Airport to create a multi-model cargo terminal. The project is expected to create around 105 jobs for the City of Windsor and has the potential to create thousands of jobs. The first tenant for the new cargo hub at Windsor Airport will be FedEx which signed a 20-year lease to run the hub and is expected to move in some time in 2015.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Canada Express||Toronto–Pearson|
|Pelee Island Transportation Company||Seasonal: Pelee Island|
|Porter Airlines||Toronto–Billy Bishop|
|Sunwing Airlines||Seasonal: Varadero, Santa Clara, Cancun (begins 21 December 2015)|
|SkyLink Express||Hamilton (ON)|
- Air America Logisitics
- Windsor Flying Club
- Canadian Historical Aircraft Association
- Journey Air/Great Lakes Flight Center
- Georgian Express
- Skyservice fixed base operator (FBO)
- Latitude/Longitude: 42° 16' 32" N, 82° 57' 20" W
- Elevation: 622 ft (190 m)
- Magnetic variation: 7° W
The airport is operated by Your Quick Gateway on behalf of the City of Windsor, is certified by Transport Canada, and operates as an airport of entry with Canadian customs services available. There is a landing fee for some aircraft.
- Runway 07/25: 9,000 by 200 ft (2,743 by 61 m), asphalt, lighted, PAPI type 2 approach lighting for both ends
- Runway 12/30: 5,150 by 150 ft (1,570 by 46 m), asphalt, lighted, PAPI type 2 approach lighting for both ends
- Remote Communications Outlet (RCO): London Radio, 123.375 MHz
- Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS): 134.5 MHz
- Ground control: 121.7 MHz
- Tower: 124.7 MHz (mandatory frequency when tower is closed)
- IFR arrivals and departures: Detroit Approach Control, 124.9 MHz
- Visual Flight Rules (VFR) advisories: Windsor-area Detroit Approach Control, 126.85 MHz
- Non-directional beacons (NDB): Windsor (QG), 353 kHz, 250° 3.8 nautical miles (7.0 km; 4.4 mi) to airport; Laurel (ZQG), 398 kHz, 70° 4.0 NM (7.4 km; 4.6 mi) to airport
- VHF omnidirectional range (VOR)/Distance Measuring Equipment (DME): Windsor (YQG), 113.8 MHz/channel 85, 285° 5.6 NM (10.4 km; 6.4 mi) to airport
- VOT (VOR airorne equipment test facility): 111.8 MHz
- Instrument Landing System (ILS): runway 25 (IQG)
Fixed base operator (FBO)
Parking is available from the airport operator; there is a charge for parking longer than six hours.
- Great Lakes Flight Centre (Esso Avitat): 122.95 MHz—100LL avgas and Jet-A fuel
Fire and rescue
Category 6 ARFF coverage is provided by airport employees. Two E-One ARFF crash vehicles are stationed at the airport firehall. Essex-Windsor EMS provides medical assistance at the airport.
- Windsor Airport - Our Story
- Canada Flight Supplement. Effective 0901Z 24 July 2014 to 0901Z 18 September 2014
- Synoptic/Metstat Station Information
- Total aircraft movements by class of operation — NAV CANADA towers
- CBCNews September 7 2012
- Air America Logisitics
- Windsor Flying Club
- Journey Air
- Great Lakes Flight Center
- Official web site
- Journey Air Pilot Training
- Windsor Flying Club - Flight training
- Live Airport Radar
- Page about this airport on COPA's Places to Fly airport directory
- Past three hours METARs, SPECI and current TAFs for Windsor Airport from Nav Canada as available.
- Southwestern Ontario Digital Archive: Airport, Windsor, Ontario, Canada