Windsor City Hall
|Windsor City Hall|
350 City Hall Square West|
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
|Renovated||May 22, 2018|
|Cost||CA$2,100,000 (equivalent to $18,855,944 in 2016)|
|Owner||City of Windsor|
The Windsor City Hall is currently home to the Windsor City Council and office of the mayor in Windsor, Ontario, Canada. The Windsor City Hall consists of 2 buildings both situated in the Windsor's City Hall Square. The main city hall building is located on 350 City Hall Square West, where it was formerly Central Public School prior to construction in 1955.
The site of the hall was previously Central Public School, thereafter the city purchased the property in 1904 and served it as the city hall. On 1955, construction began and the building was completed on 1956. In 2005, an additional building part of the Windsor City Hall campus was opened and was located across the street from the city hall on 400 City Hall Square. The second building today now serves various public services.
Plans to demolish the building after concerns of aging and structural issues started being brought up in 1990s. A new building was a topic during the 2014 budget meeting in 2013. A council vote was in favour of a new building which was passed 10 to 1. In October 2014, the Windsor City Council approved plans to demolish the original city hall and build a newer building. Construction of the new building was originally scheduled to start late 2015 and be completed in 2017-2018, but the actual construction began in mid-2016. The project is estimated to cost $23 million. The new city hall is open to the public on May 22, 2018. The grand opening took place on May 26, 2018.
- "City Hall Campuses". City of Windsor. City of Windsor. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Jarvis, Anne. "Jarvis: A burnished civic square". Windsor Star. Postmedia Network. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Schmidt, Doug. "City pursues deposit on building it can't sell". Windsor Star. Postmedia Network. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Governments come together to better serve the community of Windsor". Government of Ontario. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Schmidt, Doug. "New City Hall on the horizon". Windsor Star. Postmedia Network. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- Simcoe, Luke. "Windsor city council approves $35M plan for City Hall". Metro News. Metro International. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Council approves new Windsor city hall design". CTV News Windsor. Bell Media. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "Updated Milestones - August 2016" (PDF). citywindsor.ca. City of Windsor, Ontario. Retrieved 27 August 2017.
- "$23M Windsor City Hall design to be voted on by public". CBC News. Canadian Broadcast Corporation. Retrieved 13 October 2014.
- "New Windsor City Hall set to open next week". CTV News. May 15, 2018. Retrieved May 31, 2018.
- McArthur, Donald (May 27, 2018). "Big crowd gathers for grand opening of new Windsor City Hall". Windsor Star. Retrieved May 31, 2018.