Windsor station (Connecticut)
The 1870-built railroad depot at Windsor, CT
41 Central Street|
|Line(s)||New Haven–Springfield Line|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Train operators||Amtrak and CTrail|
|Connections||CT Transit: 32, 34, 36|
|Parking||22 spaces (free)|
|Station code||WND (Amtrak)|
|Passengers||8,638 (FY 2017) (Amtrak)|
Hartford & New Haven Railroad Depot
|Architectural style||Second Empire|
|Part of||Broad Street Green Historic District (#99001613)|
|MPS||18th and 19th Century Brick Architecture of Windsor TR|
|NRHP reference #||88001479|
|Added to NRHP||September 15, 1988|
|Designated CP||December 30, 1999|
Windsor is a historic railroad station on Amtrak's New Haven–Springfield Line, located in downtown Windsor, Connecticut. It is served by Amtrak Northeast Regional and Shuttle intercity service and Hartford Line commuter rail service. The nearby Hartford & New Haven Railroad-Freight Depot serves as the home of the Windsor Arts Center.
Windsor Station was originally built in 1870 as the Hartford & New Haven Railroad Depot and rebuilt to its original Victorian architecture by Town of Windsor, Amtrak and the Greater Hartford Transit District in 1988, the same year it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In February 2017, the state announced an additional $50 million in funds, including money to complete design of the rebuilt Windsor station. Design will be completed by 2020; the platforms will be moved slightly, and a parking deck built nearby.
Hartford Line commuter service commenced on June 16, 2018. A second low-level platform was opened on September 14, 2018, and the track one platform was temporarily closed until September 24 for track work.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Windsor, Connecticut
- Wallingford, Connecticut, Amtrak station – a station with a similar design
- Windsor Locks station
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2017, State of Connecticut" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2017.
- "Hartford County Listings". National Register of Historic Places.
- "Windsor, CT (WND)". Great American Stations. Retrieved March 6, 2013.
- "CTDOT ANNOUNCES $50 MILLION IN ADDITIONAL FUNDING FOR NHHS RAIL PROGRAM" (Press release). Connecticut Department of Transportation. February 20, 2017.
- "Design Continues for New Hartford Line Stations" (PDF). New Haven-Hartford Springfield Rail Program Newsletter. Connecticut Department of Transportation. Summer 2017. p. 3.
- "CTrail Hartford Line Rail Service Scheduled to Launch June 16; Commemorative Inaugural Event to be Held Friday, June 15" (Press release). Connecticut Department of Transportation. April 17, 2018. Retrieved April 17, 2018.
- "TRACK ONE PLATFORM AT WINDSOR STATION TO BE TEMPORARILY CLOSED THROUGH SEPTEMBER 24TH TO ACCOMMODATE TRACK CONSTRUCTION" (Press release). Connecticut Department of Transportation. September 12, 2018.
- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) No. CT-23-A, "Hartford & New Haven Railroad, Depot, 35 Central Street, Windsor, Hartford County, CT"
Media related to Windsor station (Connecticut) at Wikimedia Commons