Wine & Spirit Education Trust
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Ian Harris, DipWSET|
Chairman of Trustees
The Wine & Spirit Education Trust, often referred to as WSET, is a global organisation which arranges courses and exams in the field of wine and spirits. WSET was founded in 1969, is headquartered in London and is generally regarded as one of the world's leading provider of wine education. In 2016, it opened its first international office, WSET Asia Pacific, in Hong Kong in response to high demand for wine and spirit education across Greater China.
History and management
WSET grew out of the Wine & Spirit Association’s Education Committee and was set up with the financial assistance of the Vintners’ Company. The management of the WSET reports to a Board of Trustees made up of 8 members; three from The Vintners’ Company, three from the Wine & Spirit Association, one from the Worshipful Company of Distillers and another one from the Institute of Masters of Wine.
The courses given by WSET were originally intended for people in the wine & spirit trade. The WSET programmes have increasingly been attended also by non-professional connoisseurs. The WSET also offers professional certification in the United States, with programs in Arkansas, New York, Pennsylvania, and Washington.
The course content of WSET courses has its focus on general theoretical knowledge of the world of wine and spirits (countries and regions of production, regulations, their style of wine and spirits, grape varieties etc.), and practical identification of beverages and their flavours, including wine tasting techniques.
The attainment of the WSET Diploma is one of the few avenues of qualifying to enter the Master of Wine program.
- Ray, Johnathan, The Daily Telegraph (August 29, 2008). "The top wine-tasting courses".
- wset.co.uk WSET: About us, accessed on February 4, 2008
- J. Robinson (ed), The Oxford Companion to Wine, Third Edition, p. 769, Oxford University Press 2006, ISBN 0-19-860990-6
- "WSET Opens First International Office in Hong Kong | Wine & Spirit Education Trust". www.wsetglobal.com. Retrieved 2018-03-29.
- wsetglobal.com , accessed on March 14, 2015