|Settled||November 6, 1849|
|• Supervisor||Nicole Prater|
|• Total||36.14 sq mi (93.6 km2)|
|• Land||34.77 sq mi (90.1 km2)|
|• Water||1.36 sq mi (3.5 km2) 3.77%|
|Elevation||709 ft (216 m)|
|• Density||1,300/sq mi (490/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
60185, 60187, 60190, 60504, 60510, 60555, 60563
Winfield Township is one of nine townships in DuPage County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2020 census, its population was 45,836 and it contained 16,445 housing units. It is the least populous of the DuPage County Townships.
According to the 2021 census gazetteer files, Winfield Township has a total area of 36.14 square miles (93.60 km2), of which 34.77 square miles (90.05 km2) (or 96.23%) is land and 1.36 square miles (3.52 km2) (or 3.77%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Aurora (northeast edge)
- Batavia (partial)
- Naperville (partial)
- Warrenville (northwest three-quarters)
- West Chicago (partial)
- Wheaton (partial)
- Winfield (partial)
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Weston at
- Wayne Township, DuPage County (north)
- Bloomingdale Township, DuPage County (northeast)
- Milton Township, DuPage County (east)
- Lisle Township, DuPage County (southeast)
- Naperville Township, DuPage County (south)
- Aurora Township, Kane County (southwest)
- Geneva Township, Kane County (west)
- Batavia Township, Kane County (west)
- St. Charles Township, Kane County (northwest)
The township contains these seven cemeteries: Assumption, Big Woods, Calvary, Glen Oak, Oakwood, Pioneer and Warrenville.
Airports and landing strips
- Central Dupage Heliport
- DuPage Airport (south three-quarters)
- High Lake
- Loveless Lake
- Spring Lake
- DuPage County Forest Preserve - Kline Creek Farm
- DuPage County Forest Preserve - Roy C Blackwell Preserve
- Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
- Illinois Department of Corrections Youth Center (north quarter)
As of the 2020 census there were 45,836 people, 15,540 households, and 10,979 families residing in the township. The population density was 1,268.40 inhabitants per square mile (489.73/km2). There were 16,445 housing units at an average density of 455.07 per square mile (175.70/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 57.26% White, 2.62% African American, 1.60% Native American, 3.79% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 19.94% from other races, and 14.76% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 38.18% of the population.
There were 15,540 households, out of which 33.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.65% were married couples living together, 11.04% had a female householder with no spouse present, and 29.35% were non-families. 23.20% of all households were made up of individuals, and 9.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.52.
The township's age distribution consisted of 23.9% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 27.4% from 45 to 64, and 12.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36.7 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $86,431, and the median income for a family was $98,443. Males had a median income of $46,435 versus $32,803 for females. The per capita income for the township was $36,515. About 6.0% of families and 7.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.7% of those under age 18 and 6.3% of those age 65 or over.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
- Community High School District 94
- Winfield Elementary School District 34
- West Chicago Elementary School District 33
- Community Unit School District 200
- Indian Prairie Community Unit School District 204
- Illinois's 14th congressional district
- Illinois's 6th congressional district
- State House District 95
- State House District 96
- State Senate District 48
- "Winfield Township, DuPage County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey, United States Department of the Interior. Retrieved January 10, 2010.
- United States Census Bureau 2008 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Winfield Township, DuPage County, Illinois
- "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved January 22, 2023.
- Bureau, US Census. "Gazetteer Files". Census.gov. Retrieved January 22, 2023.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- 'Illinois Blue Book 1991-1992,' Biographical Sketch of Donald N. Hensel, pg. 92