Wing Chun (film)
|Directed by||Yuen Woo-ping|
|Produced by||Yuen Woo-ping|
|Written by||Elsa Tang|
|Music by||Yen Chi-tan|
|Cinematography||Pin Bing Lee|
|Distributed by||Century Pacific|
Wing Chun (Chinese: 詠春) is a 1994 Hong Kong martial arts action drama film produced and directed by Yuen Woo-ping, starring Michelle Yeoh and Yen Chi-tan. The film was preceded by a 1994 television series of the same name.
|This article needs a plot summary. Please add one. (August 2014)|
- Michelle Yeoh as Yim Wing-chun
- Donnie Yen as Leung Pok-to
- Kingdom Yuen as Abacus Fong
- Catherine Hung as Charmy
- Waise Lee as Scholar Wong
- Norman Chu as Flying Monkey
- Cheng Pei-pei as Wing Chun's martial arts master, Mistress Wu Mei
Guang Dong Tung Ah released it on DVD in the United States on 5 February 2002.
One year later, The Epic Action Collection DVD was released on 26 December 2005, a 4-disc set also including Iron Monkey (2-disc platinum edition) and Tai Chi Boxer; all three films were by directed by Yuen Woo-ping. One month later, The Michelle Yeoh Collection DVD was released on 9 January 2006, a 3-disc set also including Magnificent Warriors and Police Assassins.
Joey O'Bryan of the Austin Chronicle called it a "fun, period martial arts film, unique in its stylistic approach to both violence and sexual politics". J. Doyle Wallis of DVD Talk rated it 4/5 stars and wrote that what the film lacks in authenticity, it makes up for in "dazzling fight scenes". Beyond Hollywood called it "a silly comedy with kung fu" that "knows what it is". Chris Gould of DVDactive rated it 7/10 stars and wrote that the lack of actual Wing Chun fighting could disappointing to some fans, but the action and comedy make up for it.
- Wallis, J. Doyle (2002-02-12). "Wing Chun". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- Gould, Chris. "Chris Gould takes a look at the latest offering from martial arts label Hong Kong Legends...". DVDactive.com. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- Gould, Chris. "We have full specs and artwork for the latest HKL DVD release". DVDactive.com. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- O'Bryan, Joey (1994-07-01). "Wing Chun". Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
- "Wing Chun (1994) Movie Review". BeyondHollywood.com. 2002-03-28. Retrieved 2014-08-04.
|This Hong Kong film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a martial arts film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|