|Look up alicorn, pegacorn, unisus, or unipeg in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A winged unicorn is a fictional horse with wings and the horn of a unicorn. This creature has no specific name, but is sometimes referred to using a portmanteau of pegasus and unicorn (either "pegacorn" or "unipeg"). In some literature and media, it has been referred to as an "alicorn", which is a historical word for the horn of a unicorn.
Irish poet W. B. Yeats wrote of imagining a winged beast that he associated with laughing, ecstatic destruction. The beast took the form of a winged unicorn in his 1907 play The Unicorn from the Stars and later that of the rough beast slouching towards Bethlehem in his poem "The Second Coming."
In the continuity of Hasbro's My Little Pony and its related media after 2010 (including its My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic television series), winged unicorns[note 1] play a role as ponies of royal status.
- In the early episodes of the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic television series, the species is not specifically named; for example, the sisters Celestia and Luna were referred as unicorns in first season's première episode "Friendship Is Magic - part 1" despite having wings. However, an amulet with a pair of wings and a horned head of a horse is referred as the "Alicorn Amulet" in the third season's fifth episode "Magic Duel" (written by M. A. Larson), and the species is explicitly named "alicorn" in its season finale "Magical Mystery Cure" (also written by Larson).
- Shepard, Odell (1930). The Lore of the Unicorn. London: Unwin and Allen. ISBN 9781437508536.
- Brown, Robert (2004). The Unicorn: A Mythological Investigation. Kessinger Publishing. p. 18. ISBN 9780766185302.
- Von Der Osten, Hans Henning (June 1931). "The Ancient Seals from the Near East in the Metropolitan Museum: Old and Middle Persian Seals". The Art Bulletin 13 (2): 221–41. JSTOR 3050798.
- Ward, David (Spring 1982). "Yeats's Conflicts With His Audience, 1897-1917". ELH 49 (1): 155–6. JSTOR 2872885.
- Faust, Lauren. "Friendship Is Magic - part 1". My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Season 1. Hasbro Studios.
- Larson, M. A. "Magic Duel". My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Season 3. Hasbro Studios.
- Larson, M. A. "Magical Mystery Cure". My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. Season 3. Hasbro Studios.