Winnie Harlow in 2018
Chantelle Whitney Brown-Young
July 27, 1994
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Other names||Chantelle Winnie|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
Chantelle Whitney Brown-Young (born July 27, 1994), known professionally as Winnie Harlow, is a Canadian fashion model, and public spokesperson on the skin condition vitiligo. She gained prominence in 2014 as a contestant on the twenty-first cycle of the U.S. television series America's Next Top Model.
Winnie Harlow was born Chantelle Brown-Young on July 27, 1994, in Toronto, Ontario, the daughter of Lisa Brown and Windsor Young. She is of Jamaican ancestry and has two sisters. She was diagnosed with the chronic skin condition vitiligo, characterized by depigmentation of portions of the skin, at the age of four. Harlow was a victim of bullying by other children and was reportedly called a "cow, zebra, and all manner of other disparaging slurs" throughout her childhood by students both black and white. The verbal harassment led to her changing schools numerous times and dropping out of high school, after which she contemplated committing suicide.
Harlow was discovered by America's Next Top Model host Tyra Banks on Instagram, and subsequently became one of the fourteen finalists of the twenty-first cycle in 2014. She was the only Canadian ever cast on ANTM. She was eliminated in the second week of the finals, and participated in a separate competition called the "comeback series", where she continued to participate in the cycle's photo shoots along with the other eliminated contestants in an effort to return to the competition. After completing the comeback series, she was revealed to have received the highest average public vote score, and returned. She was eliminated again in episode 13, placing sixth overall.
Following her elimination from America's Next Top Model, Harlow modelled for the Spanish clothing brand Desigual and became their official brand representative. In September 2014, she walked and closed for the clothing brand Ashish for their spring/summer 2015 collection in London Fashion Week. She has modelled for fashion magazines such as i-D and Dazed, and for the fashion website Showstudio.com. In 2015, Harlow modelled for the Italian clothing brand Diesel for its spring/summer 2015 campaign, which was shot by British fashion photographer Nick Knight. She modelled for the Spanish and Italian editions of Glamour magazine and was featured in the August/September 2015 issue of Complex magazine. She was also featured in the August 2015 issue of Cosmopolitan. She was featured on Vogue Italia's website in an interview and accompanying photo shoot. In August 2015, Harlow shot the cover of and an accompanying editorial spread in the September issue of Ebony magazine, where she appeared alongside former America's Next Top Model contestant Fatima Siad. In 2016, Harlow was featured in a commercial for Sprite, and was featured in a campaign for Swarovski. The same year, she was chosen as one of BBC's 100 Women In 2018, she modeled at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
Vitiligo public speaking
In July 2011, Harlow posted a video titled "Vitiligo: A Skin Condition, not a Life Changer" on YouTube. She talked about the condition and answered questions about her life living with vitiligo. In November 2014, Harlow spoke in a TEDx presentation, recalling her experience with it. She was presented with the 'Role Model' award at the 2015 Portuguese GQ Men of The Year event. She once made a controversial statement on another model's appearance and subsequently apologized.
2018 Canadian Grand Prix
At the 2018 Canadian Grand Prix, Harlow was invited to wave the chequered flag, signifying the end of the race. A miscommunication between race officials led to Harlow being instructed to wave the flag on what should have been the penultimate lap of the race. As a result of the application of the Formula One sporting regulations, the final result was declared based on the positions at the end of lap 68 (i.e., the official race distance was shortened by two laps from the scheduled distance of 70 laps). The error did not seriously impact the race result.
Harlow has appeared in music videos; these including JMSN's "The One", Eminem's "Guts Over Fear", and The Black Eyed Peas' "#WHERESTHELOVE". She cameoed in Beyoncé's "visual album" Lemonade and was in one of Lilly Singh (a.k.a. IISuperwomanII)'s videos on YouTube named "Three Girls, One Elevator".
|2014||Access Hollywood||Episode: "June 26, 2014"|
|America's Next Top Model||6th place|
|2015||Prominent!||Episode: "February 13, 2015"|
|Primetime: What Would You Do||Episode: "Friday, June 12th"|
|November 15, 2018||Good Morning America||"Meet the first model with vitiligo to walk in the Victoria's Secret fashion show"|
|April 20, 2019||The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon||"Winnie Harlow Got Her Name After Defending Friends from Some Rude Boys"|
|September 10, 2019||Vogue||"Winnie Harlow's Afterparty Beauty Look — Just in Time for Fashion Week"|
|November 7, 2019||The Ellen Show||"‘Fearless’: Ashley Graham and Winnie Harlow Surprise Aspiring Actor"|
|"Guts Over Fear"||Eminem ft. Sia|||
|"Promises"||2018||Calvin Harris and Sam Smith|||
Awards and nominations
|2015||Gala Spa Awards 2015||Beauty Idol||Herself||Won|
|Portuguese GQ Men of The Year||Role Model||Won|
|2016||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Model||Nominated|
|2017||Teen Choice Awards||Nominated|
|Glamour Awards||Editor's Award||Won|
- "Winnie Harlow". Models.com. Retrieved May 28, 2019.
- "From 'cow' to cover girl, model Winnie Harlow is changing beauty". CNN. Retrieved September 26, 2019.
- Rodney, Dave (February 25, 2014). "From Suicide Thoughts to America's Next Top Model Finalist". jamaica-gleaner.com. Gleaner Company. Archived from the original on March 22, 2015. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- Barlow, Eve (February 15, 2015). "Chantelle Winnie: 'I'm proud of my skin'". The Guardian. Archived from the original on August 15, 2015. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Fleming, Kirsten (September 9, 2014). "Model with rare skin disease changing the face of fashion". NYPost.com. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- Kwiatkowski, Elizabeth (September 9, 2014). "'America's Next Top Model' cuts Chantelle Brown-Young from the competition". RealityTVWorld.com. Archived from the original on July 16, 2015. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- Kwiatkowski, Elizabeth (October 29, 2014). "'America's Next Top Model' eliminates Mirjana Puhar, welcomes back Chantelle Brown-Young". RealityTVWorld.com. Archived from the original on June 23, 2015. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- "Winnie Harlow: Canadian Model With Rare Skin Condition Lands 2 Major Campaigns". Complex. Archived from the original on September 24, 2015. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- "Canadian Model With Skin Disorder Gets Another Sweet Gig". The Huffington Post. Archived from the original on August 5, 2015. Retrieved August 11, 2015.
- Theo (September 17, 2014). "Model Suffering from Vitiligo Scores Desigual Campaign". FashionModelDirectory.com. Archived from the original on April 6, 2015. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "Winnie Harlow - Model". MODELS.com. Archived from the original on June 20, 2016. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- Models.com. May 2014 http://models.com/models/winnie-harlow. Archived from the original on July 15, 2015. Retrieved June 23, 2015. Missing or empty
- Goedluck, Lakeisha (February 1, 2015). "Winnie Harlow stars in Diesel's new campaign". dazeddigital.com. Dazed. Archived from the original on February 11, 2015. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "Vídeo: Winnie Harlow, el valor de ser diferente | Glamour". Glamour.es. March 16, 2015. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- "Editorials. Chantelle Winnie. Glamour Italia June 2015. Images by Giovanni Gastel. | SUPERSELECTED - Black Fashion Magazine Black Models Black Contemporary Artists Art Black Musicians". Superselected.com. May 26, 2015. Archived from the original on June 5, 2017. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- Karizza Sanchez (December 6, 2016). "Model Winnie Harlow Talks Drake, Vitiligo, and Embracing Your Own Skin | Complex UK". Uk.complex.com. Archived from the original on August 4, 2016. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- "Model Chantelle Winnie Remembers Getting Beat Up Because of Her Vitiligo". Cosmopolitan.com. July 14, 2015. Archived from the original on September 2, 2016. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- Lucia D'Angelo (July 23, 2015). "Chantelle Winnie". Vogue.it. Archived from the original on April 30, 2017. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- "Ebony Magazine September 2015 Pays Homage To Female Black Models". Donbleek.com. Ebony. August 24, 2015. Archived from the original on August 29, 2015. Retrieved August 29, 2015.
- "YouTube". YouTube. Archived from the original on March 19, 2018. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- "SWAROVSKI – Introducing the "Swarovski Crystaldust Crew" with Winnie Harlow". YouTube. July 26, 2016. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- "BBC 100 Women 2016: Who is on the list? - BBC News". Bbc.com. November 21, 2016. Archived from the original on December 23, 2016. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- Duboff, Josh. "Winnie Harlow on Her First Victoria's Secret Fashion Show: "We Just Need to Keep Focused on Taking Steps Forward"". Vanities. Retrieved February 21, 2019.
- "GQ Men of the Year 2015". metro.co.uk. Metro. October 19, 2015. Archived from the original on June 3, 2016. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- Edmondson, Laurence (June 11, 2018). "FIA explains chequered flag mix-up in Canada". ESPN. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- "Vitiligo Model Chantelle Brown Young Stars in Music Video for JMSN | SPICE TV". myspice.tv. Archived from the original on July 29, 2016. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- "Watch Eminem Get in the Ring for 'Guts Over Fear' Video". Billboard. Archived from the original on October 12, 2016. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- "Winnie Harlow, Beyonce Lemonade Model with Vitiligo". W Magazine. April 25, 2016. Archived from the original on December 6, 2016. Retrieved October 23, 2016.
- "Vitiligo Model Chantelle Brown Young Stars in Music Video for JMSN". myspice.tv. Spice. January 29, 2014. Archived from the original on June 23, 2015. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- Leight, Elias (November 24, 2014). "Watch Eminem Get in the Ring for 'Guts Over Fear' Video". Billboard. Archived from the original on June 23, 2015. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
- "How Winnie Harlow Went from America's Next Top Model to Beyoncé's "Lemonade"". April 26, 2016. Archived from the original on December 6, 2016.
- "Calvin Harris and Sam Smith's "Promises" video is a tribute to ball culture". The FADER. Retrieved April 13, 2019.
- "Stunning vitiligo model Winnie Harlow continues to change face of fashion with 'Beauty Idol' award". metro.co.uk. Metro. March 23, 2015. Archived from the original on June 22, 2015. Retrieved June 23, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Winnie Harlow.|