Winsford and Over railway station
|Winsford and Over|
|Area||Cheshire West and Chester|
|Original company||West Cheshire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Cheshire Lines Committee|
|Post-grouping||Cheshire Lines Committee
London Midland Region of British Railways
|1 July 1870||Opened|
|1 January 1874||Closed|
|1 May 1886||Reopened|
|1 December 1888||Closed to passengers|
|1 February 1892||Reopened to passengers|
|1 January 1931||Final closure to passengers|
|1 September 1958||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Winsford and Over railway station was one of three railway stations serving the town of Winsford in Cheshire. The station was the terminus of the Winsford and Over branch operated by the Cheshire Lines Committee and later British Railways.
Originally opening on 1 July 1870, it closed to passengers on 1 January 1874. It reopened on 1 May 1886, but closed to passengers for the second time on 1 December 1888. Following reopening on 1 February 1892, it remained open until final closure to passengers on 1 January 1931.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995), The Directory of Railway Stations, Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd, ISBN 1-85260-508-1, R508
- Wilkinson, Alan, Scenes from the Past: 41 (part One) - Railways Across Mid-Cheshire, ISBN 1-870119-66-5
- Biddle, Gordon (1981). "Chapter 1 – North Cheshire & The Peak". Railway Stations in the North West. Clapham, Yorkshire: Dalesman. p. 10, fig. 4. ISBN 0-85206-644-9. – 1952 photo of station
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2013). Chester Northgate to Manchester. Middleton Press. figs. 25-26. ISBN 9781908174512. OCLC 892704846.
- Winsford & Over station on the Subterranea Britannica Disused Stations website
- Winsford and Over Station on navigable 1949 O.S. map – the white disc near the "D" of "WINSFORD"
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Terminus||Cheshire Lines Committee
Winsford and Over Branch Line