Winslow Reef, Phoenix Islands
Location of Phoenix Islands
|Summit depth||11 metres|
|Location||central Pacific Ocean|
|Discovered by||Perry Winslow|
Winslow Reef is an underwater feature of the Phoenix Islands, Republic of Kiribati, located 200 kilometres (120 mi) north-northwest of McKean Island at . It is the northernmost and westernmost feature of the Phoenix Islands, not counting the outlying Baker and Howland Islands. It has a least depth of 11 m (36 ft). The reef is about 1.6 km (1 mi) long east-west, and about half that wide. The bottom is pink coral and red sand.
It is part of the Phoenix Islands Protected Area and is, therefore, a protected nature reserve.
It is not to be confused with Winslow Reef in the Cook Islands at .
- Stevenson, Robert Louis (August 1998) [letter: 2 December 1889]. "Chapter 13, Part V". Letters of Robert Louis Stevenson (e-book). Volume 2. Seattle, Washington, USA.: The World Wide SchoolTM.
We had one particularity: coming down on Winslow Reef, p. d. (position doubtful): two positions in the directory, a third (if you cared to count that) on the chart; heavy sea running, and the night due. The boats were cleared, bread put on board, and we made up our packets for a boat voyage of four or five hundred miles, and turned in, expectant of a crash. Needless to say, it did not come, and no doubt we were far to leeward.
- Denger, Otto; Gillaspy, Edwin (August 15, 1955). Atoll Research Bulletin, Canton Island, South Pacific (PDF). 41. Washington DC: Pacific Science Board, National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council. p. 6. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
The whaler 'Phoenix' discovered Winslow Reef, northwest of Canton, in 1851, and the name of this vessel became attached to the entire group of islands.
- Ships' Log Collection, Phoenix, Nov. 7, 1848 – Feb. 5, 1853. In the Nantucket Historical Association, Resource Library and Archives. 
- "Phoenix Island protected area. Management plan, 2009-2014" (pdf). UNESCO. Retrieved 2012-02-20.
- "PacIOOS. Howland & Baker". Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
|This Kiribati location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|