Duke at the 2017 San Diego Comic-Con
|Born||November 15, 1986|
|Education||University at Buffalo (BA)|
Yale University (MFA)
Winston Duke (born November 15, 1986) is a Trinbagonian–American actor. He is best known for his role as M'Baku in the Marvel Cinematic Universe films Black Panther (2018), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), and Avengers: Endgame (2019). He also starred in Jordan Peele's horror film Us (2019).
Duke was born in Argyle, Tobago, and moved to the United States with his mother, Cora Pantin, and sister when he was nine years old. He graduated from Brighton High School in Rochester, New York in 2004. He attended University at Buffalo, receiving a Bachelor of Arts in Theatre. He then moved on to Yale School of Drama where he received a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Acting and graduated in 2013.
Duke started acting in theater productions for Portland Stage Company and Yale Repertory Theatre before being cast in Person of Interest. While at Yale, he befriended fellow actor Lupita Nyong'o, with whom he later starred in Black Panther and Us. In 2012 Duke returned to his native Trinidad and Tobago to appear in the theatre production of An Echo in the Bone starring alongside actress Taromi Lourdes Joseph and directed by fellow Yale alumna Timmia Hearn Feldman.
Duke has starred in Marvel Cinematic Universe's Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War, and Avengers Endgame as M'Baku. In 2019, Duke starred in the blockbuster horror film Us, directed by Jordan Peele. In October 2019, Duke signed on to headline in the upcoming Apple TV+ drama series Swagger!, but was replaced by O'Shea Jackson Jr. due to an injury suffered on-set in February 2020. In March 2020, he starred alongside Mark Wahlberg in the Netflix thriller Spenser Confidential.
|2018||Black Panther||M'Baku||Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture|
Nominated – MTV Movie Award for Best Fight
|Avengers: Infinity War|
|2019||Us||Gabe Wilson / Abraham|
|2014 - Season 15, Episode 15||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Cedric Jones||Episode: "Gridiron Soldier"|
|2014–2015||Person of Interest||Dominic Besson / Mini||7 episodes|
|2015||The Messengers||Zahir Zakaria||3 episodes|
|2015||Major Crimes||Curtis Turner||Episode: "#FindKaylaWeber"|
|2016||Modern Family||Dwight||3 episodes|
- "Winston Duke". www.facebook.com. Retrieved February 27, 2018.
- Desta, Yohana (February 16, 2018). "MEET M'BAKU Black Panther's Winston Duke Is the Star You Should Be Watching". Vanity Fair. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- Jacob, Debbie (April 2, 2018). "Hands off Winston Duke". Trinidad & Tobago NewsDay.
- Arnold, Alexis (May 22, 2018). "From Brighton High School to Wakanda: Winston Duke remembers his days in Rochester". 13WHAM ABC Rochester. Retrieved February 23, 2019.
- "Winston Duke, UB Alumnus, Cast in Marvel Film". theatredance.buffalo.edu. University at Buffalo. Retrieved February 17, 2018.
- Cay (April 24, 2015). "Exclusive Interview: Winston Duke Talks Person of Interest and The Messengers". Nice Girls TV.
- Falcone, Dana Rose (October 4, 2017). "PEOPLE's 'Ones to Watch' Talks to Winston Duke About His Breakout Role in Marvel's Upcoming Black Panther". People. Retrieved November 3, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (September 28, 2016). "'Black Panther' Taps 'Person of Interest' Actor Winston Duke to Play M'Baku (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety.
- Hipes, Patrick (May 8, 2018). "Jordan Peele Unveils Title Of New Movie; Lupita Nyong'o In Talks, Winston Duke & Elisabeth Moss Eyed". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 5, 2019.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2019-10-01). "Winston Duke To Headline Apple's Kevin Durant Drama Series 'Swagger' From Imagine & CBS TV Studios". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-10-02.
- Kroll, Justin (October 2, 2018). "'Black Panther's' Winston Duke to Star With Mark Wahlberg in Netflix's 'Wonderland' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved June 11, 2020.