Consecrated a bishop on 10 April 2005, he served as suffragan/assistant bishop of the Diocese of Polynesia, for Polynesians in mainland New Zealand until 2010, when he became diocesan bishop of that Diocese. In becoming Bishop of Polynesia, he automatically became Senior Bishop of Tikanga Pasefika and therefore Archbishop of New Zealand & Primate of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia (one of three co-equal incumbents). On his retirement in August 2018, he was granted the honorary title "archbishop emeritus".
- Halapua, Winston (2001). Living on the fringe: Melanesians in Fiji. Suva: Institute of Pacific Studies. ISBN 978-9820203150.
- Halapua, Winston (2003). Tradition, Lotu & Militarism in Fiji. Fiji: Institute of Applied Studies. ISBN 978-9823010212.
- Halapua, Winston (2008). Waves of God's embrace: sacred perspectives from the ocean. London: Canterbury Press. ISBN 978-1853119224.
- Halapua, Winston (2010). The role of militarism in the politics of Fiji. Saarbrucken, Germany: VDM Verlag Dr. Müller. ISBN 978-3639280647.
- ACANZP Lectionary, 2019 (p. 145)
- "NEW ZEALAND: Winston Halapua becomes archbishop". The Episcopal Church. The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society. 13 May 2010. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "New archbishop for Anglican Church". Radio New Zealand. 12 May 2010. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Ashton, Lloyd (12 May 2010). "Humble beginnings for Polynesia's new Bishop". Anglican Taonga. Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "First Polynesia Bishop for NZ". Anglican News. Anglican Communion Office. 14 January 2005. Retrieved 27 February 2017.