Winter Springs, Florida
|Winter Springs, Florida|
|• City manager||Kevin L. Smith|
|• Total||14.99 sq mi (38.83 km2)|
|• Land||14.86 sq mi (38.48 km2)|
|• Water||0.13 sq mi (0.34 km2)|
|Elevation||52 ft (16 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2,511.07/sq mi (969.52/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||407, 689, 321|
|GNIS feature ID||0287843|
|Website||City of Winter Springs|
Winter Springs is a city in Seminole County, Florida, United States. The population was 33,282 at the 2010 census. According to the 2019 Census Bureau estimates, the city has a population of 37,312. It is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The city was originally "North Orlando" but because it was not connected to the city of Orlando, the confusion led to the new name "Winter Springs."
Awards and press
The City of Winter Springs was ranked by the August 2011 issue of Money Magazine as the 97th best place to live in the United States.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
At the 2000 census, there were 31,666 people in 11,774 households, including 8,901 families, in the city. The population density was 2,207.3 inhabitants per square mile (852.0/km2). There were 12,306 housing units at an average density of 857.8 per square mile (331.1/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 88.73% White, 4.59% African American, 0.19% Native American, 1.94% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 2.52% from other races, and 1.99% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.52% of the population. There is a Jewish community.
Of the 11,774 households 38.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.2% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.4% were non-families. 18.8% of households were one person and 6.4% were one person aged 65 or older. The average household size was 2.69 and the average family size was 3.08.
The age distribution was 27.0% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 10.8% 65 or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.2 males.
The median household income was $58,247 and the median family income was $75,682. Males had a median income of $64,716 versus $39,720 for females. The per capita income for the city was $26,166. About 3.3% of families and 4.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.5% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Central Baptist Church
- Church Alive
- Life Community Church
- First Baptist Church of Winter Springs
- The Church at 434
- Merge Church
- Metro Church
- St. Stephen Catholic Community
- Willow Creek Presbyterian Church of America
- New Covenant Church
- Fellowship Church of Winter Springs
- Temple Israel
- Rosh Chodesh Society
The City of Winter Springs has seven public schools and many private schools located within its city borders. While not within the city of Winter Springs, University of Central Florida and Full Sail are close to the community.
- Rainbow Elementary
- Keeth Elementary
- Layer Elementary
- Highlands Elementary
- Winter Springs Elementary
- Choices in Learning Elementary Charter School
- Primrose School of Winter Springs (Preschool-K)
- Creative Inspiration Journey School (Preschool-K)
Indian Trails Middle School
- Arbor School of Central Florida (K-12, a special education school)
- Willow School of Winter Springs (grades 2-12, for students with learning disorders)
- A. J. Cole, Toronto Blue Jays, MLB
- Caskey, rapper
- Ocky Clark, track and field Olympian coaches at Winter Springs.
- Kirby Grant, actor[better source needed]
- Kawika Mitchell, pro football player was born in Winter Springs and attended Lake Howell High School.
- Zachary "Sneaky" Scuderi, professional AD Carry in the MOBA League of Legends.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 2, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2014-09-10.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved May 21, 2020.
- "Winter Springs Florida City Guide". FloridaSmart. 2019-05-16. Retrieved 2019-06-17.
- Money Magazine, August 2011, CNN's Money Magazine, retrieved 2011-08-20
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "New Art & Soul course takes women through the arts". Fern Park, FL. Heritage Florida Jewish News. October 23, 2015.
- Belanger, Ashley. "Baking with Caskey Orlando rapper cooks up a video that gets him signed to Cash Money records". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Ruiz, Stephen (21 November 2014). "Winter Springs coach starts walk to Tallahassee". Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Kirby Grant Hoon, Jr. | EPOCH".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Winter Springs, Florida.|