Winter Springs, Florida
|Winter Springs, Florida|
Location in Seminole County and the state of Florida
|• Mayor||Charles Lacey|
|• City manager||Kevin L. Smith|
|• Total||14.4 sq mi (37.6 km2)|
|• Land||14.3 sq mi (37.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||52 ft (16 m)|
|• Estimate (2013)||33,871|
|• Density||2,199/sq mi (842.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP codes||32708, 32719|
|GNIS feature ID||0287843|
|Website||City of Winter Springs|
Winter Springs is a city in Seminole County, Florida, United States. The population was 33,282 at the 2010 census. According to the 2013 Census Bureau estimates, the city has a population of 33,871. It is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee–Sanford Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Awards and Press
The City of Winter Springs was ranked by the August 2011 issue of Money Magazine as the 97th best place to live in the United States.
As of the census of 2000, there were 31,666 people, 11,774 households, and 8,901 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,207.3 inhabitants per square mile (852.0/km²). There were 12,306 housing units at an average density of 857.8 per square mile (331.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 88.73% White, 4.59% African American, 0.19% Native American, 1.94% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 2.52% from other races, and 1.99% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 10.52% of the population.
There were 11,774 households out of which 38.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.2% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.4% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.69 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the city the population was spread out with 27.0% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 25.4% from 45 to 64, and 10.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 94.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $58,247, and the median income for a family was $75,682. Males had a median income of $64,716 versus $39,720 for females. The per capita income for the city was $26,166. About 3.3% of families and 4.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 4.5% of those under age 18 and 4.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Action Church
- Church Alive
- Life Community Church
- Metro Church
- St. Stephen Catholic Community
- Willow Creek Presbyterian Church of America
- New Covenant Church
The City of Winter Springs has seven public schools and many private schools located within its city borders.
- Rainbow Elementary
- Keeth Elementary
- Layer Elementary
- Highlands Elementary
- Winter Springs Elementary
- Choices in Learning Elementary Charter School
- Primrose School of Winter Springs (Preschool-K)
- Creative Inspiration Journey School (Preschool-K)
- Indian Trails Middle School
- Winter Springs High School
- Willow School of Winter Springs (grades 8-12, for students with learning disorders)
- Arbor School of Central Florida (K-12, a special education school)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2014-09-10.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2014-09-10.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Money Magazine, August 2011, CNN's Money Magazine, retrieved 2011-08-20
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.