Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom
|Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom|
|Directed by||Evgeny Afineevsky|
|Produced by||Evgeny Afineevsky|
|Narrated by||Cissy Jones|
|3 September 2015|
(Venice Film Festival)
9 October 2015
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom (Ukrainian: Зима у вогні: Боротьба України за свободу, Zyma y vohni: Borot'ba Ukrayini za svobodu) is a 2015 documentary film about the Euromaidan protests in Ukraine from November 21, 2013 to February 23, 2014.
Produced in part by Netflix, this film is a coproduction of Ukraine, the United States, and the United Kingdom. It was screened at various film festivals before its release on October 9, 2015 on the online streaming service.
The film had its world premiere at the 72nd Venice International Film Festival. At the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival, it won the People's Choice Award for best documentary. The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature and the Primetime Emmy Award in the Exceptional Merit in Documentary Filmmaking category.
On Rotten Tomatoes, it has a rating of 95% with an average rating of 7.7. Jay Weissberg from Variety stated that Winter on Fire is an "accessible film, with greater TV appeal, but it’s also more limited by its insistence on shoehorning everything into one perspective, albeit a perspective shared by many."
Winter on Fire was widely shown around Venezuela in 2017 during the anti-government protests in Caracas, in which protesters were rallying against President Nicolás Maduro, and the 2019–20 Hong Kong protests.
- "Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom (programme note)". TIFF. Archived from the original on 9 September 2015. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- Sapienza, Ethan (6 August 2015). "Thrilling Netflix Documentary 'Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom' to Premiere October 9". Indiewire. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Fitzgerald, Sean (14 September 2015). "TIFF 2015: 'Winter on Fire' emotionally draining for director Evgeny Afineevsky". Toronto Sun. Postmedia Network. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Farber, Stephen (2 September 2015). "'Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom': Venice Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- Tapley, Kristopher (20 September 2015). "'Room' Wins Toronto Film Festival's People's Choice Award". Variety. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Johnson, Zach (14 January 2016). "Oscars 2016 Nominations: Complete List of Nominees". E! Online. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Winter on Fire (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- Weissberg, Jay (2 September 2015). "Venice Film Review: 'Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom'". Variety. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Venezuela: Euromaidan doc. 'Winter On Fire' is being shown in the streets of Caracas. Many Venezuelans are inspired by Ukraine". Venezuela.liveuamap.com. Archived from the original on 30 November 2017. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Ramirez, Victoria; Aponte, Andreina (29 June 2017). "Venezuela's shield-bearing protesters inspired by Ukraine". Reuters. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- Laurenson, Jack (7 August 2019). "Hong Kong protesters draw strong inspiration from Ukraine revolution". KyivPost. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- O'Sullivan, Mike (31 August 2019). "Hong Kong Christians Call for Reform". Voice of America. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom on Netflix
- Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom on IMDb
- Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom at Rotten Tomatoes
- Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom at Metacritic
|This article about a political documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a Ukrainian film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|