|Birth name||Wintley Augustus Phipps|
|Born||January 7, 1955|
|Origin||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Occupation(s)||singer, musician, entrepreneur, Minister|
|Part of a series on|
Seventh-day Adventist portal
Wintley Augustus Phipps, Sr. (born January 7, 1955) is a vocal artist, and founder of the U.S. Dream Academy, Songs of Freedom Publishing Company, and Coral Records Recording Company. He features a "booming baritone" voice, usually singing inspirational gospel music. He is an ordained Seventh-day Adventist minister.
Phipps was born in Trinidad and Tobago, but at an early age moved to Montreal, Quebec, Canada. He attended Kingsway College in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, a Seventh-day Adventist academy, and later Oakwood College, a Seventh-day Adventist college (university since 2007) in Huntsville, Alabama, where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Theology. Phipps would go on to earn a Master of Divinity degree from Andrews University, a Seventh-day Adventist university in Berrien Springs, Michigan. Wintley Phipps served as senior pastor to several churches in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, including the Capitol Hill and Seabrook Seventh-day Adventist Churches. He currently serves as pastor of the Palm Bay Seventh-day Adventist Church in Palm Bay, Florida. Wintley is married to Linda Galloway, whom he met at Oakwood. They have three sons: Wintley II, Winston Adriel, and Wade Alexander.
He has performed for American presidents Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama at several National Prayer Breakfast events and other celebrations. He performed for the 1984 and 1988 Democratic National Conventions, Rosa Parks' 77th Birthday gala at the Kennedy Center, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, and former South African President Nelson Mandela. He has appeared on programs such as the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. television special, Dr. Robert Schuller's Hour of Power Telecast, and the Billy Graham Crusades; at the Vatican, and as guest soloist at Diana Ross' wedding ceremony in Switzerland,; and on Saturday Night Live, Soul Train, and The Oprah Winfrey Show. He has conducted lectures in Europe, Australia, Asia, Africa, and North and South America.
U.S. Dream Academy, Inc
In 1998, Phipps founded the U.S. Dream Academy, Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to providing a values-based, interactive, tutorial and remedial education program targeting children and at-risk youth through community Family Learning Centers located in various states. Phipps wanted something to help break the cycle he saw played out so many times in his own family. Wintley formed the U.S. Dream Academy to help children who've had a family member behind bars. The program provides mentoring, academic tutoring, and exposure to computers and the Internet. Phipps says, "Just the computers themselves are not going to transform the lives of these kids," and "The most important part of our program is really the caring, loving adults who surround them."
- Oprah's Angel Network $100,000 "Use Your Life" Award.
- Grammy Award nominations in 1988 and 1989
- 2005 MMP Fall Leadership, $100,000
- I Give You My Life (1979)
- The Neo-Gospel Experience (1982)
- Lord, You Are My Music (1984)
- I Give You My Life (1984)
- I Choose You Again (1984)
- We Are One (1985)
- The Great Controversy (1985)
- It's Christmas Time (1986)
- Wintley Phipps (1987)
- A Love Like This (1988)
- Sun Will Shine Again (1990)
- The Power of a Dream (1995)
- Favorite Hymns (1996)
- Favorite Spirituals (1996)
- Songs of Christmas (2000)
- Out of the Night (2001)
- Heal Our Land (2001)
- Favorite Hymns of Billy Graham (Discovery House, 2005)
- Spirituals: A Symphonic Celebration (Discovery House, 2006)
- No Need for Fear (Discovery House, 2007)
- The Classics (Discovery House, 2008)
- O Holy Night! (Discovery House, 2009)
- My Greatest Romance (Coral Records, 2010)
- To God Be the Glory (Discovery House, 2011)
- Near the Cross: Wintely Phipps Sings the Beloved Hymns of Fanny Crosby (2013)
- I Surrender All (Discovery House, 2015)
- Wintley Phipps Live (2000)
- Christmas in Vienna - Diana Ross (1993)
- Don't Let Me Walk This Road Alone (Duet with Melissa Manchester from the album If My Heart Had Wings) (1995)
- Saviour: The Story of God's Passion for His People (1996)
- Millennium Chorus: The Greatest Story Ever Sung (2000)
- Gospel Gold (Bellmark) (2000)
- Spirituals: Songs of the Soul (Discovery House, 2004)
- No Need to Fear (Discovery House)
- Spirituals: A Symphonic Celebration (Discovery House, 2008)
- Favorite Hymns of Billy Graham (Discovery House, 2008)
- US Dream Academy: Our Founding Story US Dream Academy. Retrieved November 29, 2011
- Allmusic: Wintley Phipps Allmusic Guide. Retrieved December 1, 2011
- Lawton, Kim (April 10, 2009). "Wintley Phipps, Interview". Religion and Ethics Newsweekly. PBS. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- Goldstein, Clifford (August 1991). "Wintley Phipps, setting the standard" (PDF). Listen (Nampa, ID: Pacific Press Pub Assn) 44 (8): 4–7. ISSN 0024-435X. Retrieved 2011-11-30.
- "Galaxy of stars performed for Democratic delegates". Jet (Chicago, Ill: Johnson Publishing) 74 (19): 60. August 8, 1988. ISSN 0021-5996. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- *"Rosa Parks lauded on her 77th birthday at Kennedy Center gala.". Jet (Chicago, Ill: Johnson Publishing Company) 77 (21): 22–24. March 5, 1990. ISSN 0021-5996. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- "Current Black Seventh-day Adventist Pioneers". Black SDA History. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- "Jackson entertained and educated while SNL host". Jet (Chicago, Ill: Johnson Publishing) 67 (10): 55. November 12, 1984. ISSN 0021-5996. Retrieved 2011-11-29.
- "Unplanned. Unrehearsed. Wintley Phipps sings Amazing Grace". Harpo, Inc. (Oprah.com). 2001-06-11. Retrieved 2006-12-06.
- Phipps, Wintley; Down, Goldie M. (1994). The power of a dream: The inspiring story of a young man's audacious faith. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan. p. 186. ISBN 0-310-47920-7.
- Phipps, Wintley; James Lund (2015). Your Best Destiny: Becoming the person you were created to be. Tyndale Publishers
- Phipps, Wintley; Perfecting Me: Becoming the person you were created to be. Songs of Freedom Publishing