||This article appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. (March 2015)|
|Traded as||BSE: 507685
BSE SENSEX Constituent
CNX Nifty Constituent
|Founded||29 December 1945 (Mumbai, Maharashtra)|
|Founder||M.H. Hasham Premji|
|Services||IT Consulting, Digital Strategy, IT Services|
|Revenue||$ 8 Billion (INR 48,000 crores)(2014-15)|
|$ 1.6 Billion (INR 9,765 crores)(2014-15)|
|Profit||$1.5 Billion (INR 8,653 crores)(2014-15)|
|Total assets||$9.6 Billion (INR 60,000 crores)|
|Total equity||$ 6.5 Billion ( INR 40,963 crores)|
Number of employees
|158,217 (Q4, 2014-15)|
Wipro Limited (Western India Products Limited) is an Indian multinational IT Consulting and System Integration services company headquartered in Bangalore, India. As of March 2015, the company has 158,217 employees servicing over 900 of the Fortune 1000 corporations with a presence in 67 countries. On 31 March 2015, its market capitalization was approximately $ 35 Billion, making it one of India's largest publicly traded companies and seventh largest IT Services firm in the World.
To focus on core IT Business, it demerged its non-IT businesses into a separate company named Wipro Enterprises Limited with effect from 31 March 2013. The demerged companies are consumer care, lighting, healthcare and infrastructure engineering which contributed approximately 10% of the revenues of Wipro Limited in previous financial year.
In Later Part of 2014, Wipro's largest deal in its five decade of history and probably one of the largest deals in the history of the Information Technology services industry was the 10 year $ 1.2 billion contract with ATCO, a Canadian Energy & Utilities corporation based out of Calgary, Alberta. The Deal was spearheaded by Rishad Premji along with Canadian Team. 
- 1 History
- 2 Wipro Group of Companies
- 3 Sustainability at Wipro
- 4 Listing and shareholding
- 5 Employees
- 6 Awards and recognitions
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early formative years
The company was incorporated on 29 December 1945, in Mumbai by Mohamed Premji as 'Western India Vegetable Products Limited', later abbreviated to 'Wipro'. It was initially set up as a manufacturer of vegetable and refined oils in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India under the trade names of Kisan, Sunflower and Camel. The company logo still contains a sunflower to reflect products of the original business.
During the 1970s and 1980s, the company shifted its focus to new business opportunities in the IT and computing industry, which was at a nascent stage in India at the time. On 7 June 1977, the name of the company changed from Western India Vegetable Products Limited, to Wipro Products Limited.
The year 1980 marked the arrival of Wipro in the IT domain. In 1982, the name was changed from Wipro Products Limited to Wipro Limited. Meanwhile, Wipro continued to expand in the consumer products domain with the launch of "Ralak" a tulsi-based family soap and "Wipro Jasmine", a toilet soap.
In 1988, Wipro diversified its product line into heavy-duty industrial cylinders and mobile hydraulic cylinders. A joint venture company with the United States' General Electric in the name of Wipro GE Medical Systems Pvt. Ltd. was set up in 1989 for the manufacture, sales, and service of diagnostic and imaging products. Later, in 1991, tipping systems and Eaton hydraulic products were launched. The Wipro Fluid Power division, in 1992, developed expertise to offer standard hydraulic cylinders for construction equipment and truck tipping systems. The market saw the launch of the "Santoor" talcum powder and "Wipro Baby Soft" range of baby toiletries in 1990.
In 1995, Wipro set up an overseas design centre, Odyssey 21, for undertaking projects and product developments in advanced technologies for overseas clients. Wipro Infotech and Wipro Systems were amalgamated with Wipro in April that year. Five of Wipro's manufacturing and development facilities secured the ISO 9001 certification during 1994–95. In 1999, Wipro acquired Wipro Acer. Wipro became a more profitable, diversified corporation with new products such as the Wipro SuperGenius personal computers (PCs). In 1999, the product was the one Indian PC range to obtain US-based National Software Testing Laboratory (NSTL) certification for the Year 2000 (Y2K) compliance in hardware for all models.
Wipro Limited joined hands with a global telecom major KPN (Royal Dutch telecom) to form a joint venture company "Wipro Net Limited" to provide internet services in India. The year 2000 was the year Wipro launched solutions for convergent networks targeted at Internet and telecom solution providers in the names of Wipro OSS Smart and Wipro WAP Smart. In the same year, Wipro got listed on New York Stock Exchange. In early 2000 Wipro Vice Chairman Vivek Paul and Azim Premji approached KPMG Consulting Vice Chairman Keyur Patel and CEO Rand Blazer to form an mega-outsourcing joint venture between the two organizations..
In February 2002, Wipro became the first software technology and services company in India to be certified for ISO 14001 certification. Wipro also achieved ISO 9000 certification to become the first software company to get SEI CMM Level 5 in 2002. Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting Group entered the market of compact fluorescent lamps, with the launch of a range of CFL, under the brand name of Wipro Smartlite. As the company grew, a study revealed that Wipro was the fastest wealth creator for 5 years (1997–2002). The same year witnessed the launch of Wipro’s own laptops with Intel's Centrino mobile processor. Wipro also entered into an exclusive agreement with the owners of Chandrika for marketing of their soap in select states in India. It set up a wholly owned subsidiary company viz. Wipro Consumer Care Limited to manufacture consumer care and lighting products. In 2004 Wipro joined the billion dollar club. It also partnered with Intel for i-shiksha. The year 2006 saw Wipro acquire cMango Inc., a US-based technology infrastructure Consulting firm Enabler, and a Europe-based retail solutions provider. In 2007, Wipro signed a large deal with Lockheed Martin. It also entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Oki Techno Centre Singapore Pte Ltd (OTCS) and signed an R&D partnership contract with Nokia Siemens Networks in Germany. The year 2008 saw Wipro’s foray into the clean energy business with Wipro Eco Energy. In April 2011, Wipro signed an agreement with Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) for the acquisition of their global oil and gas information technology practice of the commercial business services business unit. The year 2012 saw Wipro make its 17th acquisition in IT business when it acquired Australian analytics product firm Promax Applications Group (PAG) for $35 million. Wipro is the No. 1 employer of H-1B visa professionals in the United States in 2012.
In 2012 Wipro Ltd. announced the demerger of its Consumer Care & Lighting (incl Furniture business), Infrastructure Engineering (Hydraulics & Water business), and Medical Diagnostic Product & Services business into a separate company to be named Wipro Enterprises Ltd. Wipro's scheme of arrangement for demerger turned effective from 31 March 2013.
Wipro Group of Companies
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2015)|
Wipro Limited is a global company provider of comprehensive IT solutions and services, including Systems Integration, Consulting, Information Systems outsourcing, IT-enabled services, and R&D services.
It is also a value added reseller of desktops, servers, notebooks, storage products, networking solutions and packaged software for international brands.
Wipro entered into the technology business in 1981 and has over 140,000 employees and clients across 54 countries today. IT revenues stood at $7.1 billion for the year ended 31 March 2015, with a repeat business ratio of over 95%.
Wipro Consumer Care & Lighting
Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting (WCCLG), a business unit of Wipro Limited operates in the FMCG segment offering a wide range of consumable commodities. Established in 1945, the first product to be introduced by WCCLG was vegetable oil, later popularised under the brand name "Sunflower Vanaspati". It offers personal care products, such as Wipro Baby Soft and Wipro Safewash, toilet soaps like Santoor and Chandrika as well as international brands like Yardley. Its portfolio of lighting solutions includes products like Smartlite CFL, LED, emergency lights and more.
Wipro Infrastructure Engineering
Wipro Infrastructure Engineering is the hydraulics business division of Wipro Limited and has been in the business of manufacturing hydraulic cylinders, truck cylinders, and their components and solutions since 1976. This division delivers hydraulic cylinders to international OEMs and represents the Kawasaki, Sun Hydraulics and Teijin Seiki range of hydraulic products in India. It has entered into partnerships with companies like Kawasaki and aerospace giant EADS. The commitment to quality has made Wipro Infrastructure Engineering the second largest independent manufacturer of cylinders in the world. The company has recently ventured into water treatment systems and solutions to cater to the needs of various industries.
Wipro GE Medical Systems Limited
Wipro GE Medical Systems Limited is Wipro’s joint venture with GE Healthcare South Asia. It is engaged in the research and development of advanced solutions to cater to patient and customer needs in healthcare. This partnership, which began in 1990, today includes offerings like gadgets and equipment for diagnostics, healthcare IT solutions and services to help healthcare professionals combat cancer, heart disease, and other ailments. There is complete adherence to Six Sigma quality standards in all products.
Sustainability at Wipro
Wipro's approach to sustainability is structured on enabling itself, as an organisation, and its customers to be more ecologically sustainable. It is driven by issues considered important to employees, India's current and future generations, customers, investors, suppliers, and the community as a whole. Wipro has been ranked 1st in the 2010 Asian Sustainability Rating (ASRTM) of Indian companies and is a member of the NASDAQ Global Sustainability Index as well as the Dow Jones Sustainability Index.
Listing: Wipro's equity shares are listed on Bombay Stock Exchange where it is a constituent of the BSE SENSEX index, and the National Stock Exchange of India where it is a constituent of the S&P CNX Nifty. The American Depositary Shares of the company are listed at the NYSE since October 2000.
Shareholding: On 30 September 2013, 73.51% of the equity shares of the company were owned by the promoters: Azim Premji, his family members, partnership firms in which he is a partner and Trusts formed by him/his family. The remaining 26.49% shares are owned by others.
|Shareholders (as on 30-September-2013)||Shareholding|
|Promoter group led by Azim Premji||73.51%|
|Foreign Institutional Investors (FII)||08.82%|
|American Depositary Shares||01.93%|
At the end of FY 2014-15, its employee strength was 158,217. Its global workforce consists of 101 nationalities working from 58 countries, 175+ cities across 6 continents. Wipro maintains gender diversity with more than 30% of its employees being women. Its has more than 30,000 employees outside India, out of which 40% are locals. The average age of a Wipro employee is 30.3 years. During 2014-15, the company incurred ₹ 197 billion on employee benefit expenses.
Awards and recognitions
- In May 2013, it was ranked 812th on the Forbes Global 2000 list.
- Wipro was ranked 2nd in the Newsweek 2012 Global 500 Green companies.
- It was recognized by the Ethisphere Institute as one of the World’s Most Ethical (WME) Companies in 2013, for the second year in a row.
- Wipro received the 'NASSCOM Corporate Award for Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion, 2012', in the category 'Most Effective Implementation of Practices & Technology for Persons with Disabilities'.
- In 2012, it was awarded the highest rating of Stakeholder Value and Corporate Rating 1 (SVG 1) by ICRA Limited.
- It received National award for excellence in Corporate Governance from the Institute of Company Secretaries of India during the year 2004.
- In 2014, Wipro was ranked 52nd among India's most trusted brands according to the Brand Trust Report, a study conducted by Trust Research Advisory.
- In March 2015, Wipro has been recognized as the world’s most ethical company by US-based Ethisphere Institute for the fourth consecutive year.
- Wipro named a 2015 Best Outsourcing Thought Leadership Awards (BOTL) winner by The Outsourcing Institute.
- Wipro won Gold Award for ‘Integrated Security Assurance Service (iSAS)’ under the ‘Vulnerability Assessment, Remediation and Management’ category of the 11th Annual 2015 Info Security PG’s Global Excellence Awards.
- Wipro won 7 awards, including Best Managed IT Services and Best System Integrator in the CIO Choice Awards 2015, India
- "Wipro: From a vegetable oil maker to an IT major". NDTV Profit. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Annual Report 2014-15". Wipro Limited. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- "About Wipro-Fact Sheet".
- "Wipro Ltd. - Company Information". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "About Wipro".
- "Top 100 Companies by Market Capitalization BSE".
- "Wipro falls 12% as stock adjusts to demerger". The Hindu. 12 April 2013. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Wipro to demerge non-IT businesses". Business Standard. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Azim Premji says son Rishad will never be CEO of Wipro". Indian Express. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Wipro buys Canadian firm Atco I-Tek for $195 million". The Times of India. 18 July 2014.
- "About Wipro".
- "Company History of Wipro". Money Control. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Billionaire Profile: Azim Premji". Mens XP.
- "Wipro acquires 45 per cent of Wipro Net from KPN Telecom". The Financial Express.
- "Company profile for Wipro". Reuters.
- "Company History — Wipro". The Economic Times. Economic Times. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Corporate Round-up". Capital Market. 2 May 1999. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "In brief". The Financial Express. 16 February 1999. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Wipro releases WAP solutions". The Hindu. 16 June 2000. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Wipro Tech gets ISO 14001". Business Line. 9 February 2001. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Wipro world's first to achieve level 5 in people's assessment". Rediff.
- "Software Engineering Institute". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro Lighting launches new range". Business Line.
- "Wipro Is Fastest Wealth Creator For 5 Years: Study". The Financial Express.
- "Wipro is biggest wealth creator during 1998-2003: Study". Business Line.
- "Acer, Wipro laptops have new wi-fi chips". Business Line.
- "Wipro To Market Chandrika Soap in Select States". The Financial Express.
- "Wipro buys lease rights of Chandrika soap". Business Standards.
- "Wipro to set up consumer care unit in Himachal". Business Standards.
- "Wipro and Intel launch 'I-Shiksha' solution". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro, Intel Join Forces to Launch i-shiksha". Channel Times.
- "Wipro buys US-based cMango for $20M". Business Line.
- "Wipro bags US consulting co cMango". The Economic Times.
- "India's Wipro acquires Enabler". CNET News.
- "Lockheed Martin, Wipro To Light Ambar Jyoti in India". EFYTimes.
- "Wipro, Lockheed Martin start ops in Gurgaon". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro to Acquire Oki's Wireless Chip Design Arm". PC World.
- "Wipro to manage R&D for Nokia Siemens". Reuters.
- "Wipro to buy Nokia Siemens R&D unit in Berlin". EE Times Asia.
- "The Inside Story of Azim Premji's Next Billion Dollar Plan". Forbes.
- "Stable, yet supple". Business Today.
- "Wipro buys part of SAIC IT business for $150 mn". The Economic Times.
- "India's Wipro to buy SAIC energy tech biz for $150 mln". Reuter.
- "Wipro to acquire Australia's Promax Applications Group for Rs 192 crore". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro to buy analytics firm Promax for $36 mn". Business Standard.
- "Top 10 Employers" (PDF). H-1B Temporary Visa Program — Selected Statistics, FY 2012. OFFICE OF FOREIGN LABOR CERTIFICATION. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "Wipro Ltd. Announces Demerger of its Consumer Care & Lighting (incl. Furniture Business), Infrastructure Engineering (Hydraulics & Water Business), and Medical Diagnostic Product & Services Business into a Separate Company to be Named Wipro Enterprises Ltd". Wipro.
- "Wipro hives off non-IT business into separate company". The Economic Times. 1 November 2012. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Wipro's Scheme of Arrangement for Demerger Effective from March 31, 2013". Wipro. 2 April 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Wipro demerger scheme comes into effect". The Times of India. 2 April 2013. Retrieved 15 November 2013.
- "Company Profile for Wipro". Reuters.
- "Wipro launches iPhone app". The Times of India.
- "Results for the quarter and year ended March 31, 2013 under IFRS" (PDF). Wipro.
- "Industry, Materials and Utilities". Reuters.
- "Wipro restructures to take on TCS, Infosys, Cognizant; senior managers exit, 6 verticals created". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro Wins National Telecom Awards 2011". EFYTimes.
- "Wipro reorganizes to simplify". The Times of India.
- "Wipro Consumer Care & Lighting to launch Glucose tablets". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro sees high demand for CFL bulbs". Business Standard.
- "Company Overview of Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting Ltd.". Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
- "Wipro's Santoor is largest soap brand in South India". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro FMCG arm reports 26% rise in revenues on strong demand". The Financial Express.
- "Yardley's proof of Wipro's FMCG focus". The Economic Times.
- "Company History — Wipro Ltd". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro, Kawasaki in talks for hydraulic oil pumps". Business Line.
- "Wipro, Kawasaki enter into a joint venture". CIOL.
- "Wipro Infrastructure Engineering to set up Rs 50 cr plant in Bangalore". The Economic Times.
- "Wipro Infrastructure Engineering ties up with EADS arm". The Economic Times.
- "Pumping up the world". Made in India.
- "Wipro Infrastructure Engineering Forays into China". The Telegraph.
- "Wipro plans Rs 100 cr manufacturing facility". Business Standard.
- "Wipro GE to consolidate healthcare biz". Business Standard.
- "About Wipro GE Healthcare". GE Healthcare.
- "Six Sigma has worked wonders for Wipro GE". The Financial Express.
- "Six Sigma has worked wonders for Wipro GE". The Financial Express.
- "Wipro continues to lead in sustainability disclosures". Business Standard.
- "Nasdaq-100 includes Wipro in Global Sustainability Index". Business Line.
- "Wipro Named Among World's Most Ethical Companies". EFYTimes.
- "Guide to Greener Electronics 18 | WIPRO". Greenpeace. November 2012.
- "Scripwise Weightages in S&P BSE SENSEX". BSE India. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Download List of CNX Nifty stocks (.csv)". NSE India. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Form 20F". SEC.gov. 12 June 2013. Retrieved 17 November 2013.
- "Wipro on Forbes Global 2000". Forbes. May 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "13 Indian firms in Newsweek's global green; Wipro no.2". Hindustan Times. 27 October 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Tata Steel, Wipro among world’s most ethical". Hindustan Times. 18 March 2012. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Wipro World’s Most Ethical company : Ethisphere Institute". indiainfoline.com. 7 March 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Wipro Wins NASSCOM Corporate Award for Excellence in Diversity and Inclusion 2012". Wipro. 25 January 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "6 ways to ensure inclusivity and diversity at workplaces". Data Quest. 28 January 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Wipro in highest category of stakeholder value creation: Icra". Economic Times. 10 February 2004. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Corporate governance award for Wipro". The Hindu. 21 December 2004. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "India's Most Trusted Brands 2014".
- "Wipro Voted World’s Most Ethical Firm".
- "Wipro named a 2015 Best Outsourcing Thought Leadership Awards (BOTL) winner".
- "Wipro won Gold Award for ‘Integrated Security Assurance Service (iSAS)’".
- "Wipro won 7 awards, including Best Managed IT Services and Best System Integrator in the CIO Choice Awards 2015, India’".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wipro.|