|Traded as||FWB: WDI|
(Until 6 April 2005)
Markus Braun (CEO)
(Chairman of the supervisory board)
Electronic payment processing|
€1.49 billion |
(US$1.84 billion) (2017)
€259.719 million |
(US$320.688 million) (2017)
€4.528 billion |
(US$5.591 billion) (2017)
Number of employees
Wirecard AG is a global internet technology and financial services provider which is listed on the German stock exchange (TecDAX) and is headquartered in Aschheim, Munich. The company offers its customers electronic payment transaction solutions and risk management, as well as the issuing and processing of physical and virtual cards.
Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd. (WDCS) is a wholly owned subsidiary headquartered in Newcastle upon Tyne, with an e-money licence which allows it to issue virtual cards. It provides numerous mobile payment solutions, such as Orange Cash and Wirecard’s own mobile payment solution boon.
The subsidiary Wirecard Bank AG holds a German banking licence, in addition to licences from Visa and Mastercard. Moreover, it has contracts with American Express, Discover/Diners, JCB, Alipay, WeChat Pay, Apple Pay and China UnionPay, among others.
In March 2017, Wirecard acquired Citi Prepaid Card Services and created Wirecard North America, introducing its internet technology, issuing and acquiring solutions and omnichannel payment solutions to the US market.
Products and Services
Wirecard is an international supplier of electronic payment and risk management solutions. Wirecard offers products and services in the areas of mobile payments, e-commerce, digitization and finance technology. This traditionally comprises the integration of payment methods, payment transactions via e-commerce as well as payment transactions at the stationary checkout (POS). In these areas, Wirecard currently works in cooperation with 36,000 large and mid-sized companies and 191,000 small-sized companies (as of end of 2017), including Allianz, KLM, Qatar Airways, Rakuten.com and Transport for London, among others. The transaction volume in 2017 was US$112.4 billion.
Since 2015, Wirecard offers consumers the fully digitalized, mobile payment-app boon, which works independently of banks or network operators. boon is based on a virtual Mastercard and runs on mobile devices with the Android or iOS operating systems. The Android version is currently available in Germany, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain and Ireland. In addition, boon can be used via Apple Pay in France, Great Britain, Switzerland, Spain, Italy and Ireland. boon offers contactless payments via smartphone and tablet through NFC as well as online payments and peer-to-peer transactions.
In the mobile payments sector, Wirecard has negotiated several contracts with telecommunications providers for technical services with regard to mobile smartphone payments based on near-field communication (NFC). The payment processor offers its partners a mobile card reader as a white label programme for the acceptance of card payments via smartphones or tablets.
Wirecard’s Supplier and Commission Payments (SCP) is tailored to the travel industry and is based on the automatic issuance of virtual credit cards. It enables electronic payments to partners and suppliers, for example, commission payments. This means that international payments can be processed by sending virtual credit card numbers electronically.
Digitalization of the retail sector
Wirecard has been collaborating with Alipay since 2015, to offer Chinese tourists a familiar payment method during their travels in Europe. As part of this, Wirecard has integrated this alternative payment method into the till systems of retailers such as Printemps, The Body Shop and The National Bank of Greece. Since July 2017, Wirecard has partnered with Tencent to also offer WeChat Pay.
Many FinTech companies work with Wirecard, for instance, using their banking licence. Some well-known partnerships include: Curve, Funding Circle; start-up banks such as Atom, Monzo, and Tandem; money apps including Revolut, Monese and Pockit; spending management apps such as Loot, 'U' account and Soldo and business accounts like Tide.
mycard2go has been part of Wirecard Bank’s portfolio since 2010. It is a prepaid card which can be purchased in stores and is ready to top up following online activation.
List of Subsidiaries
Wirecard is a global company founded in 1999, which operates across all continents worldwide since 2017.
It entered the U.S. market in 2017 following completion of the takeover of Citi Prepaid Services. Wirecard took over the Brazilian company MOIP in 2016. The previous year, in 2015, it entered the Indian market with the acquisition of the Great Indian Retail Group’s payment business. Wirecard has been strengthening its operations in the Asia-Pacific region, the Middle East and Africa since 2014.
See below a list of some Wirecard subsidiaries (not complete):
|Subsidiary Company Name||City||Country|
|Wirecard Bank AG||Aschheim||Germany|
|Wirecard Technologies GmbH||Aschheim||Germany|
|Wirecard Retail Services GmbH||Aschheim||Germany|
|Wirecard Global Sales GmbH||Aschheim||Germany|
|Wirecard Communication Services GmbH||Leipzig||Germany|
|Wirecard Card Solutions Ltd||Newcastle upon Tyne||United Kingdom|
|Wirecard Central Eastern Europe GmbH||Klagenfurt||Austria|
|Wirecard Ödeme ve Elektronik Para Hizmetleri A.Ş.||Istanbul||Turkey|
|Wirecard Processing FZ LLC||Dubai||United Arab Emirates|
|Wirecard Singapore Pte Ltd||Singapore||Singapore|
|Wirecard Payment Solutions Malaysia Sdn Bhd||Kuala Lumpur||Malaysia|
|Wirecard India Private Ltd||Chennai||India|
|Wirecard NZ Limited||Auckland||New Zealand|
|Wirecard Hong Kong Limited||Hong Kong||China|
|Wirecard Africa Holdings Proprietary Ltd||Cape Town||South Africa|
|Wirecard Brasil S.A.||São Paulo||Brazil|
|Wirecard North America Inc.||Conshohocken||USA|
|Wirecard UK and Ireland||Dublin||Ireland|
- "Digitise Now" (PDF). Wirecard. Retrieved 15 April 2018.
- "Wirecard brings WeChat Pay to Europe". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Wirecard Acquires Citi Prepaid Card Services". PYMTNS. 13 March 2017. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "FY 2017" (PDF). Wirecard. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Allianz and Visa launch mobile payment and loyalty app". Finextra. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- "Qatar Airways, Wirecard team on Alipay acceptance in Middle East and Africa". PamentsSource. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- "Wirecard stellt neue Bezahl-App vor". Handelsblatt. 2 March 2015. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "Boon bringt Apple Pay für alle". inside-tech.ch. 7 February 2017. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "Wirecard startet Mobile Payment App boon mit Apple Pay in Spanien". IT TIMES. 6 July 2017. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- Lochner, Mario (12 October 2016). "Wirecard: Wenn Bezahlen sexy wird". FOCUS Online. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "boon neu mit P2P: Geld zwischen zwei Freunden in Echtzeit schicken". TOPNEWS. 29 January 2018. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "SCP, Supplier and Commission Payments". www.wirecard.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- Sword, Alex. "T-Systems and Wirecard target retailers with IoT-enabled shelf". www.mobileeurope.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "French department store offers Alipay mobile payments • NFC World". NFC World. 2016-11-09. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "The Body Shop To Launch Alipay Mobile Wallet In Three London Stores | PYMNTS.com". www.pymnts.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Wirecard Inks Deal With NBG To Integrate AliPay | PYMNTS.com". www.pymnts.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- Kharpal, Arjun (2017-07-10). "Tencent launches WeChat Pay in Europe to challenge Alibaba's Alipay". Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- "Atom Bank is raising £100 million and getting into mortgages". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "App-only bank Monzo valued at £50 million in 'interim' £4.8 million funding round". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "More than 3,000 companies have signed up to hot fintech Revolut's new business service". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Britain is getting MORE banking app startups — can they all survive?". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Millennial banking startup Loot raised another £2.5 million". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "There's a new digital-only bank and its CEO says Brexit is the 'perfect scenario' to launch". Business Insider. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Wirecard completes Citi Prepaid acquisition » Banking Technology". www.bankingtech.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Wirecard buys Brazilian online payments firm for 23.5 million euros". Reuters. 2016-02-22. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Wirecard AG announces its market entry into North America by the acquisition of Citi Prepaid Card Services". www.wirecard.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Wirecard acquires Brazilian online payment service provider". www.wirecard.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.
- "Wirecard acquires payments business of Great Indian (GI) Retail Group". www.wirecard.com. Retrieved 2017-07-17.