Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery
The Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery is a public-private biomedical research partnership that is located on the University of Wisconsin–Madison campus. It consists of two institutions: the privately funded Morgridge Institute for Research, and the publicly funded Wisconsin Institute for Discovery. Both institutes opened in 2010. The publicly funded institute is headed by David Krakauer, and the privately funded institute is led by chief executive officer Brad Schwartz.
Both institutes are housed in the same facility, which also serves as a "town center", providing several small and large meeting and collaboration areas and variety of dining options. This town center design is based on the philosophies presented in the Wisconsin Idea. Above the town center on the ground floor, the building has three floors of modular, non-traditional research and lab space, designed to promote collaboration amongst researchers. The building is also designed using green techniques, and is expected to use 50% less energy and water than the next most recent research building on the UW–Madison campus.
Building Design Information
- Size: 330,000 square feet
- Cost: $213 million
- Architect, Design Architect, and Laboratory Planner: Ballinger, Philladelphia, PA
- Associate Architect/Interior Designer: Uihlein Wilson Architects, Milwaukee, WI
- MEP Engineer: Affiliated Engineers Inc., Madison, WI
- Landscape Architect: Olin Partnership, Philadelphia, PA
- Structural and Civil Engineer: Graef, Anhalt, Schloemer & Assoc. Inc., Madison, WI
- Construction Manager: J.H. Findorff & Sons Inc., Madison, WI, and M.A. Mortensen Co., Brookfield, WI
- Awarded 2012 Laboratory of the Year by R&D Magazine http://www.rdmag.com/articles/2012/06/laboratory-all
- Received the 2012 Innovation in Green Building Award http://www.usgbc.org/articles/university-wisconsin-%E2%80%93-madison-receives-2012-innovation-green-building-award
- "Wiley takes interim post at Wisconsin Institute for Discovery". The Business Journal of Milwaukee (American City Business Journals, Inc.). 23 June 2008. Retrieved 11 December 2009.
- "Leadership | Wisconsin Institute for Discovery". 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Leadership". Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery. 2013. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Building - Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery". Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery. 28 April 2009. Retrieved 11 December 2009.
|This article about a scientific organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|