Wish You Were Here (1987 film)
|Wish You Were Here|
US Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||David Leland|
|Produced by||Sarah Radclyffe|
|Written by||David Leland|
|Music by||Stanley Myers|
|Edited by||George Akers|
|Distributed by||Atlantic Releasing Corp|
Wish You Were Here is a 1987 British comedy-drama film starring Emily Lloyd and Tom Bell. It was written and directed by David Leland. The original music score was composed by Stanley Myers. The story is loosely based on the formative years of Cynthia Payne.
Sixteen-year-old Lynda Mansell (Emily Lloyd) lives in a small English seaside town in the early 1950s. She is feisty, outspoken and precocious and tries to shock other people with her histrionic behaviour, vulgar and saucy tongue (her favourite insult is "Up yer bum"). Bored with conventional jobs (which she frequently loses) and her town's dull young men, Lynda has her first sexual experience with Dave (Jesse Birdsall) but after she has slept with one of her father's middle-aged friends (Tom Bell), her life changes. She becomes pregnant and her father, a somewhat rigid and conventional man, disowns her. Desperately she tries to seek an illegal abortion but in the end decides to become a mother.
The film was based loosely on the memoirs of the British madam Cynthia Payne as an adolescent growing up on the Sussex coast. It was filmed in the Sussex towns of Brighton, Worthing and Bognor Regis.
Awards and honors
- 1987: Evening Standard British Film Awards Emily Lloyd for Best Actress
- 1987: National Society of Film Critics Emily Lloyd for Best Actress
- 1988: BAFTA Award David Leland for Best Screenplay
- 1988: BAFTA Award Nomination Best Actress
- "RODERICK MANN: NOW LELAND CAN SPELL 'SUCCESS'". Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, California. 1 August 1987. pp. E1.
- Maslin, Janet (24 July 1987). "Wish You Were Here (1987) FILM: 'WISH YOU WERE HERE'". The New York Times.
- Ebert, Roger. "Wish You Were Here". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- "Wish You Were Here". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2010-09-05.