This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008)
|Population||10,700 (2016 census)|
|Location||14 km (9 mi) south-east of Brisbane CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane|
Wishart is 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) south-east of the CBD.
Bulimba Creek flows through the suburb.
Originally named by Queensland Place Names Board 1 August 1967. Name and boundaries confirmed by Minister for Survey and Valuation, Urban and Regional Affairs 11 August 1975. Boundaries altered by the Minister for Natural Resources and Mines, 22 April 2005. Named after an early European settler, ??? Wishart ( - ), first used as a suburb name around 1967.
Newnham Road in Wishart was originally part of a stock route from farming areas south of Brisbane to the Cannon Hill saleyards. The land beside Newnham Road was eventually developed into small farming blocks, reducing the width of the stock route to that of a normal road, but it was still used occasionally by travelling stock until the 1960s. As Brisbane grew the suburb was subdivided for residential blocks.
In the 2011 census, the population of Wishart was 10,460, 52.4% female and 47.6% male. The median age of the Wishart population was 37 years, the same as the Australian median. 67.6% of people living in Wishart were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were New Zealand 3.9%, England 2.8%, China 1.7%, India 1.6%, South Africa 1.3%. 74.7% of people spoke only English at home; the next most common languages were 3.4% Cantonese, 2.2% Mandarin, 2.2% Greek, 1.3% Hindi, 1.1% Korean.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Wishart (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 14 April 2018.
- "MacGregor Ward". Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Wishart – suburb (entry 43702)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 27 June 2017.
- "Wishart | Queensland Places". queenslandplaces.com.au. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- College, Brisbane Adventist (26 October 2019). "Homepage". Brisbane Adventist College. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Mansfield State High School". Mansfield State High School. 24 March 2019. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Welcome to Mansfield State School". mansfieldss.eq.edu.au. 22 February 2013. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- "Statistics Wishart". profile.id.com.au. Retrieved 26 October 2019.
- ourbrisbane.com website, Wishart section via the Wayback Machine
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Wishart