|Milind Shah, CEO|
WishTel is an Indian IT products manufacturing company. On 23 March 2012, it announced the launch of a range of low-cost tablet devices by the name of IRA. The company claims to bring cheap and efficient computing devices in the fields of education where the Indian Government has often made efforts with the OLPC initiative and the Aakash (tablet) project.
The company was also the second lowest bidder for the Aakash project where they lost to DataWind. The CEO of the company Mr. Milind Shah has also claimed that WishTel would be bidding for the Aakash 2 project which was announced by Kapil Sibal who is currently the minister of communications and information technology for India.
The idea of producing these tablet computers is partly inspired by the fact that there is a big gap between technology and education, and partly by the introduction of another series of low-cost tablets - Aakash tablets - in 2010.
Wishtel designed its tablets according to the required specifications from Indian Institute of Technology Rajasthan under the National Mission on Education, and are being funded by the Ministry of Human Resource.
The seven-inch tablets would be the first such devices to support 23 Indian regional languages. They operate on Android (operating system), and additional applications can be downloaded from the Android Market.
- "Tablets that support 23 Indian languages launched". The Hindu, Special Correspondent, March 26, 2012.
- "Low cost tablets flood market again with Wishtel launching two tabs". Economic Times, Gulveen Aulakh, March 23, 2012.
- "WishTel to bid for Aakash 2; launches tablet at Rs 4,000 - Rs 5,500". Economic Times, PTI, March 23, 2012.
- "Wishtel Ira tablet takes on Aakash with Rs 4,000 price". NDTV Gadgets, Gaurav Shukla , March 23, 2012.
- "WishTel launches Rs 4000 Android tablet in India". Firstpost Technology, FP Staff , March 26, 2012.
- "WishTel wishes to take on Aakash 2 with it’s incoming low cost tablet". BGR, Sahil 'Bones' Gupta , March 20, 2012.
- "Wishtel launches Android tablet Ira @ Rs 4,000". Times of India, ET Bureau, Gulveen Aulakh, March 23, 2012.
- "WishTel To Bid For Aakash 2; Launches Tablet At Rs 4k-5.5k". Business World, PTI, March 23, 2012.
- "Wishtel Launches Two Cheap Android Tablets". TechTree, Kamakshi S, March 26, 2012.