Jump to navigation Jump to search
The church of Wismes
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Jean-Luc Hochart|
|Area1||11.93 km2 (4.61 sq mi)|
|• Density||41/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|INSEE/Postal code||62897 /62380|
|Elevation||73–191 m (240–627 ft) |
(avg. 128 m or 420 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Wismes is located twelve miles (19 km) southwest of Saint-Omer, at the D132 and D205 road junction, comprising the villages and hamlets of Wismes, Cantemerle, Fourdebecques, Marival, Rietz-Mottu, Saint-Pierre-Wismes and Salvecques.
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
Places of interest
- The church of St.André, dating from the sixteenth century.
- The church of St.Pierre, dating from the seventeenth century.
- A small château of the Louis XV style.
- The remains of a 12th-century feudal motte.
- An ancient house built in 1670.
- Baron Armel de Wismes, writer and historian
- Charles de Gaulle attended the church at Wismes for the burial of his godfather.
- Saint Maxime passed through Wismes and a spring bears his name. He supposedly created it with a blow from his staff.
- Louis Amadeus Rappe, the Bishop of Cleveland, Ohio, United States, served as the pastor of Wismes from 1829–1834.
- Houck, George Francis (1887-01-01). The Church in Northern Ohio and in the Diocese of Cleveland: From 1749 to 1890. Short & Forman.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wismes.|
- Wismes on the Quid website (in French)
|This Pas-de-Calais geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|