With Oden on Our Side
|With Oden on Our Side|
|Studio album by Amon Amarth|
|Released||22 September 2006|
|Studio||Fascination Street studios, Örebro, Sweden|
|Genre||Melodic death metal|
|Amon Amarth chronology|
With Oden on Our Side is the sixth full-length studio album by the Swedish death metal band Amon Amarth, and their first album to enter the Billboard charts, the Top Heatseekers and the Independent Albums chart, peaking at number 15 and number 26 respectively.
It was recorded in May and June 2006 and was released in Europe on 22 September 2006 by Metal Blade Records. A limited edition digipak was also released with a second disc that includes live songs, demos, and unreleased recordings. With Oden on Our Side was also released on a limited red LP. The songs "Runes to My Memory" and "Cry of the Black Birds" were both made into music videos, with the former being featured in the 2011 video game Saints Row: The Third by developer Volition.
With Oden on Our Side takes on a heavier approach compared to their previous album Fate of Norns; according to vocalist Johan Hegg, in an interview with Dutch metal magazine Aardschok, the album would go back to their roots such as their debut, Once Sent from the Golden Hall. When asked about the meaning of the album's title, Hegg remarked:
|“||Well, it kind of has several meanings to it. Oden is of course the highest god in Scandinavian mythology, and he's the god of warfare, wisdom, poetry and artistry. The reason we chose the title is that it suited the lyrical concepts of the album and signified the feeling we had during the writing and recording of the album. We literally felt as if we had the Gods on our side.||”|
|— PyroMusic interview with Johan Hegg|
The album cover art features the Norse God Odin riding on his fabled octopedal horse Sleipnir in a depiction borrowed from the Tjängvide image stone. The background depicts the Valknut, a symbol whose meaning is uncertain, though archeological evidence suggests it to be associated with Odin. Letters of the Runic alphabet can be seen on the edges of the triangles forming the Valknut. The Runes on top spell out "With Oden on our Side", whereas the bottom right runes spell "Amon Amarth" using characters from the Elder Futhark.
With Oden on Our Side was well received by the public. On Rate Your Music the album has an average rating of 3.69 of 5, based on more than 2,300 ratings, and on Sputnikmusic the album has an "excellent" average rating of 4.0 of 5, based on more than 1,250 ratings.
All tracks written by Amon Amarth.
|1.||"Valhall Awaits Me"||4:44|
|2.||"Runes to My Memory"||4:33|
|4.||"Hermod's Ride to Hel - Lokes Treachery Part 1"||4:41|
|5.||"Gods of War Arise"||6:03|
|6.||"With Oden on Our Side"||4:35|
|7.||"Cry of the Black Birds"||3:50|
|8.||"Under the Northern Star"||4:17|
|9.||"Prediction of Warfare"||6:37|
|Limited digipack edition bonus disc|
|1.||"Where Silent Gods Stand Guard" (Live)||6:11|
|2.||"Death in Fire" (Live)||4:55|
|3.||"With Oden on Our Side" (Demo)||4:32|
|4.||"Hermod's Ride to Hel - Lokes Treachery Part 1" (Demo)||4:49|
|5.||"Once Sent from the Golden Hall" (Sunlight Recording)||4:03|
|6.||"Return of the Gods" (Sunlight Recording)||3:34|
- Johan Hegg − vocals
- Olavi Mikkonen − guitar
- Johan Söderberg − guitar
- Ted Lundström − bass
- Fredrik Andersson − drums
- Jens Bogren – production, engineering, mixing
- Anders "Shadow" Ström – additional recording
- Thomas Eberger – mastering
- Fascination Street studios, Örebro, Sweden
- Cutting Room, Stockholm – mastering
- Amon Amarth's rehearsal studio – recording (2006 demos)
- Sunlight Studio – recording (1997 demos)
|Austrian Albums (Ö3 Austria)||27|
|German Albums (Offizielle Top 100)||21|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||21|
- "Billboard.com – Artist Chart History – Amon Amarth". Retrieved 2011-03-05.
- Prato, Greg. With Oden on Our Side - Amon Amarth at AllMusic
- Alisoglu, Scott. "CD Reviews - With Oden On Our Side - Amon Amarth". www.blabbermouth.net. Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "With Oden on Our Side by Amon Amarth (Album, Melodic Death Metal)". rateyourmusic.com. Sonemic. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side User Opinions". www.sputnikmusic.com. Sputnikmusic. Retrieved December 27, 2015.
- "Austriancharts.at – Amon Amarth – With Oden on Our Side" (in German). Hung Medien.
- "Longplay-Chartverfolgung at Musicline" (in German). Musicline.de. Phononet GmbH.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Amon Amarth – With Oden on Our Side". Hung Medien.