With Ur Love
|"With Ur Love"|
|Single by Cher Lloyd featuring Mike Posner|
|from the album Sticks + Stones|
|Released||28 October 2011|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Length||3:45 (for featured versions)
3:24 (U.S. solo version)
|Writer(s)||Shellback, Max Martin, Savan Kotecha|
|Cher Lloyd chronology|
"With Ur Love" is a song by British singer Cher Lloyd, taken from her debut studio album Sticks and Stones (2011). It was released on 29 October 2011 as the second single taken from the album. The song features guest vocals by American singer Mike Posner. It was written by Shellback, Savan Kotecha, Max Martin and Mike Posner, and it was produced by Shellback. Musically "With Ur Love" is a mid-tempo song, with elements of bubblegum pop and R&B. Its lyrics talk about the euphoria of being in love. The song debuted at number four in the United Kingdom, becoming Lloyd's second top ten single.
A solo version was released on iTunes in the US on 28 August 2012. Lloyd confirmed that the song would be the next US single on Today on 30 August 2012, but her label decided to maintain the song as a promotional single to support her album and announced "Oath" as the second US single instead. In January 2013, "With Ur Love" was announced as the third single from the US release featuring Academy Award-winning rapper Juicy J, and was released for airplay on 5 February.
- 1 Background and release
- 2 Composition and recording
- 3 Lyrics and style
- 4 Critical reception
- 5 Remix featuring Juicy J
- 6 Music video
- 7 Live performances
- 8 Chart performance
- 9 Track listing
- 10 Charts and certifications
- 11 Release history
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Background and release
After the mixed response and the commercial success of her lead single "Swagger Jagger", Lloyd decided to release "With Ur Love" as the album's second single. Lloyd commented about the difference between the tracks: "It's very different. The two songs are miles apart. My first single showed my attitude and aggressive style, while this one is more stripped-back with me being me. It basically gives you a good insight into what the album is going to be like, so I think it was a good choice." It received its first airplay on 21 September 2011. The recording has brought comparisons to Avril Lavigne, and Lloyd herself described the track as one where she, "actually gets to sing instead of jumping around like an idiot." Both of the featured artists wrote their own verses. Posner did not co write the song according to the U.S. album liner notes. The German digital download features a different cover.
Composition and recording
"With Ur Love" was written by Lloyd, Savan Kotecha, Shellback, Max Martin and Mike Posner, while production was handled by Martin and Shellback. While talking to Digital Spy's Robert Copsey, Lloyd commented about working with Max Martin, stating: "Max is a very private person. He doesn't rant and rave about his music, which is why I loved working with him. I want to be like that - I want to get my music out but not scream and shout about it." It features vocals from American singer Mike Posner. Posner commented in an interview for Digital Spy about the collaboration:
"It was a great record. I think if it does get released, I think it could have the same kind of success. Max Martin and Cher did a really strong song. During my time with Cher I worked with an incredible singer, and I don't think she gets enough credit for her singing ability as she deserves. There's no autotune on there. It's just really, really great, but I think people forget about that because she can rap so well also. I don't see why she couldn't compete in the US. She's a great artist."
Lyrics and style
 It starts with Lloyd singing "da da da da dum dum da dum dum", which according to The Guardian's Alexis Petridis "pinches its opening hook from Ann Peebles' I Can't Stand the Rain." Less than a minute into the song listeners are re-introduced to the concept of "swag". "I used to always think I was bulletproof/ But you got an AK and you're blowing through," Lloyd sings. Lyrically, it talks about Lloyd "being on top of the world" with her lover. "I feel like I'm on top of the world with your love," she insists in the chorus. Posner sings "I don't even care if you sing my songs wrong", referring to when Lloyd forgot the words to "Cooler Than Me" at the Judges Houses, showing how far she has come since the X Factor days. Bradley Stern of MuuMuse commented that the groove is reminiscent of Rihanna's "What's My Name" and "Rude Boy", while Katherine St. Asaph of Pop Dust perceived that her vocals on the song has elements of Rihanna, intermittently daubed with shades of The Cardigans' Nina Persson.
The song received favourable reviews from music critics. Robert Copsey from Digital Spy wrote: "It's sweet and sugary with an addictively sharp edge." Platform Online commented that "It's catchy, and you'll most definitely find yourself 'ba da da da dum dum-ing' before the end of the first chorus. The verses see Lloyd showing off the voice that she does have, which wasn't displayed within her first single, and reminds us all that she does actually have a lot of vocal talent to offer." Nick Levine from BBC Music wrote that the song is "as easy to resist as a pie sat cooling on your neighbour's windowsill." Jon O'Brien from Allmusic wrote that the song "is a charming M.I.A.-inspired ditty that fuses a lolloping childlike bassline with bouncy beats and some surprisingly sugary-sweet melodies, although Mike Posner's guest rap is the pure definition of 'phoned-in'."
Joe Rivers from No Ripcord agreed, writing: "It's another good, catchy song, save for a hateful Mike Posner guest spot, which paints him to be the kind of lecherous predator you pray doesn't take your daughter to prom." Alexis Petridis of The Guardian stated: "It is a far better pop single than you might expect a former X Factor contestant to dish up." Ben Chalk from MSN Music described it as "a plaintive slice of R&B-infused pop with a big fat shiny chorus, plays to her strengths far better." Alex Denney from NME commented:
"Another perky tune with crunkin', stutterin' beats and big doe eyes on the chorus from Cher. Also features a 'soulful' turn from Mike Posner (me neither) on the middle eight, in which he talks about getting to third base with his date — possibly Cher, but it doesn't bear thinking about too much."
Remix featuring Juicy J
Background and development
The UK version of the music video for the song was uploaded to YouTube on 5 October 2011. Lloyd filmed most of the music video for "With Ur Love" in and around Basinghall Avenue, London, England. The U.S. version of the music video was recorded at "The Hollywood Castle" on 15 January 2013 in Los Angeles, California. It was released on 14 February on VEVO.
Lloyd is seen laughing with some friends as she sits in a bedroom. She then goes and walks through the streets of London with her pals as giant heart-shaped balloons float along the streets and lots of colourful little ones are released into the air. Posner is seen singing from a rooftop with the backdrop of London's skyline behind him.
In the U.S. version of the music video, Lloyd is seen as a queen with supernatural powers living in a large castle with her friends who also seem to have supernatural powers. On a rainy day a couple of men are attracted to her castle and are soon invited in by Lloyd. The group sits down to a dinner together, even though her guests find the food being served as unpleasant. Lloyd then puts a spell on the men for them to act more outgoing and talkative during the meal. Each of the men go to a different part of Lloyd's castle where they are seduced and enchanted by her friends. Lloyd's friends each steal essence from the men and their essence is put in a small bottle. Lloyd and her friends put the essence in a cauldron when Lloyd casts a spell on it which creates her ideal mate.
Lloyd performed the song on The X Factor on 30 October 2011, the day of its release in the United Kingdom. She performed "With Ur Love" along with her first single, "Swagger Jagger", on the Ukrainian X Factor on 19 November. In August 2012 it was revealed that "With Ur Love" would serve as Lloyd's third US single. Lloyd then performed the track on 30 August on Today along with "Want U Back". Lloyd performed the single live at the 2013 Radio Disney Music Awards on 27 April.
On 4 November 2011, the song debuted at number five in Ireland, becoming Lloyd's second top ten single in the country. Despite being predicted to debut at number one in the United Kingdom by The Official Charts Company, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number four with first-week sales of 74,030 copies. The song sold more than the first single, "Swagger Jagger" when it debuted at number one in August 2011, selling 66,316 copies. "With Ur Love" also marks the highest-selling number-four single since Rihanna's "Only Girl (In the World)", which sold 74,248 copies in October 2010. It's estimated to have sold between 300,000 and 400,000 copies in total in the UK. As a promotional single in the US, it has sold over 50,000 copies.
- U.K. Digital Download EP
- "With Ur Love" (feat. Mike Posner) - 3:46
- "With Ur Love" (feat. Mike Posner) [Acoustic Version] - 3:45
- "With Ur Love" (feat. Mike Posner) [Alex Gaudino & Jason Rooney Remix] - 6:28
- "With Ur Love" (feat. Mike Posner) [Digital Dog Radio Edit] - 4:21
- "With Ur Love" (feat. Mike Posner) [Teka & SoulForce Reggae Remix] - 3:48
- U.K. CD Single
- "With Ur Love" (feat. Mike Posner) - 3:46
- "With Ur Love" (feat. Mike Posner) [Acoustic Version] - 3:45
- U.S. Version Digital Download
- "With Ur Love" - 3:23
- Juicy J Version
- "With Ur Love" (feat. Juicy J) - 3:45
Charts and certifications
|Australia||28 October 2011||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||30 October 2011|
|31 October 2011||CD single|
|Germany||27 January 2012||Digital download|
|United States||28 August 2012||Digital download (solo version)|
|16 April 2013||Digital download (single version)|
- Corner, Lewis (2 November 2011). "Cher Lloyd interview: 'I won't let myself be a one-hit wonder'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "With Ur LovebyCher Lloyd". Songfacts. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Copsey, Robert (4 August 2011). "Cher Lloyd interview: "People will eat their words"". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Corner, Lewis (15 May 2012). "Mike Posner interview: 'Cher Lloyd is an incredible singer'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Stern, Bradley (21 September 2011). "CHER LLOYD UNLEASHES RIRI-RIFIC SECOND SINGLE: "WITH UR LOVE (FEAT. MIKE POSNER)"". MuuMuse. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Music - Review of Cher Lloyd - Sticks + Stones". BBC. Retrieved 2012-01-13.
- Barnes, Charlotte (12 October 2011). "Review: Cher Lloyd - 'With UR Love'". Pop Fodder. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Petridis, Alexis (3 November). "Cher Lloyd: Sticks + Stones – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 June 2012. Check date values in:
- Copsey, Robert (30 October 2011). "Cher Lloyd ft. Mike Posner: 'With Ur Love' - Single review". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Single: ‘With Ur Love’ by Cher Lloyd". Platform Online. 31 October 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- St. Asaph, Katherine (21 September). "The Singles Bar: Cher Lloyd, "With Ur Love" ft. Mike Posner - Popdust". Popdust. Retrieved 18 June 2012. Check date values in:
- Rivers, Jon (11 November 2011). "Cher Lloyd: Stick + Stones - Music Review - No Ripcord". No Ripcord. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- Chalk, Ben (7 November). "Albums of the week: 7/11/2011". MSN Music. Retrieved 18 June 2012. Check date values in:
- Denney, Alex (26 November 2011). "Cher Lloyd, Sticks + Stones' - First Listen". NME. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- Cher Lloyd - With Ur Love ft. Mike Posner. YouTube
- "Cher Lloyd debuts sweet and girly With Ur Love video with Mike Posner". Metro.
- Cher Lloyd - With Ur Love - YouTube
- Kirsty Mccormack (31 October 2011). "Glad to be back: Cher Lloyd looks excited but nervous as she returns to the X Factor stage a year later to perform her new single". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Jones, Alan (7 November 2011). "UK Singles Chart analysis: Professor Green's Read All About it sales dip 44%". Music Week. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "Australian-charts.com – Cher Lloyd feat. Mike Posner – With Ur Love". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Ultratop.be – Cher Lloyd feat. Mike Posner – With Ur Love" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Chart Track: Week 44, 2011". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Charts.org.nz – Cher Lloyd feat. Mike Posner – With Ur Love". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2011-01-17.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-11-12". Scottish Singles Top 40. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-11-12" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Cher Lloyd Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Cher Lloyd.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- THE FIELD id (chart number) MUST BE PROVIDED for NEW ZEALAND CERTIFICATION.
- "British single certifications – Cher Lloyd – With Your Love". British Phonographic Industry. Enter With Your Love in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "With Ur Love - EP by Cher Lloyd - Download With Ur Love - EP on iTunes". iTunes Store.