With Ur Love
|"With Ur Love"|
|Single by Cher Lloyd featuring Mike Posner|
|from the album Sticks + Stones|
|Released||28 October 2011|
|Length||3:45 (Featured versions)
3:23 (U.S. version)
|Cher Lloyd singles chronology|
|Cher Lloyd U.S. singles chronology|
|Mike Posner singles chronology|
North American artwork
| on YouTube
"With Ur Love" is a song by English singer Cher Lloyd featuring vocals from American singer Mike Posner. The single was released on 4 October 2011, and was written by Shellback, Savan Kotecha, Max Martin and Posner and was produced by Shellback and Martin. Musically "With Ur Love" is a mid-tempo song, with elements of R&B and lyrically speaks about the euphoria of being in love. The song debuted at number four in the United Kingdom, becoming Lloyd's second top ten single.
A solo version was released on iTunes in the US on August 28, 2012 as a promotional single from the album. Lloyd confirmed that the song would be the next US single on Today on 30 August 2012, but her label decided to maintain the song as a promotional single to support her album and announced "Oath" as the second US single instead. In January 2013, "With Ur Love" was announced as the third single from the US release, and was released for airplay on 5 February. On 16 April 2013, a remix version of the song featuring American rapper Juicy J was released digitally and to US radio airplay.
- 1 Background and release
- 2 Composition and recording
- 3 Lyrics and style
- 4 Critical reception
- 5 Juicy J version
- 6 Music video
- 7 Live performances
- 8 Chart performance
- 9 Track listing
- 10 Charts and certifications
- 11 Release history
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Background and release
After the mixed response and the commercial success of her lead single "Swagger Jagger", Lloyd decided to release "With Ur Love" as the album's second single. Lloyd commented about the difference between the tracks: "It's very different. The two songs are miles apart. My first single showed my attitude and aggressive style, while this one is more stripped-back with me being me. It basically gives you a good insight into what the album is going to be like, so I think it was a good choice." It received its first airplay on 21 September 2011. The recording has brought comparisons to Avril Lavigne, and Lloyd herself described the track as one where she, "actually get[s] to sing instead of jumping around like an idiot." Both of the featured artists wrote their own verses. The album liner notes of the US version of the album states that Posner did not co-write the solo version of the song. The German digital download features a different cover.
Composition and recording
"With Ur Love" was written by Savan Kotecha, Shellback, Max Martin and Mike Posner, while production was handled by Martin and Shellback. While talking to Digital Spy's Robert Copsey, Lloyd commented about working with Max Martin, stating: "Max is a very private person. He doesn't rant and rave about his music, which is why I loved working with him. I want to be like that - I want to get my music out but not scream and shout about it." Posner commented in an interview for Digital Spy about the collaboration:
"It was a great record. I think if it does get released, I think it could have the same kind of success. Max Martin and Cher did a really strong song. During my time with Cher I worked with an incredible singer, and I don't think she gets enough credit for her singing ability as she deserves. There's no autotune on there. It's just really, really great, but I think people forget about that because she can rap so well also. I don't see why she couldn't compete in the US. She's a great artist."
Lyrics and style
 The song starts with Lloyd singing "da da da da dum dum da dum dum", which according to The Guardian's Alexis Petridis "pinches its opening hook from Ann Peebles' I Can't Stand the Rain." Less than a minute into the song listeners are re-introduced to the concept of "swag". "I used to always think I was bulletproof/ But you got an AK and you're blowing through," Lloyd sings. Lyrically, it talks about Lloyd's feeling of "being on top of the world" with her lover. "I feel like I'm on top of the world with your love," she insists in the chorus. Posner sings "I don't even care if you sing my songs wrong", referring to when Lloyd forgot the words to "Cooler Than Me" at the Judges Houses, showing how far she has come since the X Factor days. Bradley Stern of MuuMuse commented that the groove is reminiscent of Rihanna's "What's My Name" and "Rude Boy", while Katherine St. Asaph of Pop Dust perceived that her vocals on the song has elements of Rihanna, intermittently daubed with shades of The Cardigans' Nina Persson.
The song received favorable reviews from music critics. Robert Copsey from Digital Spy wrote: "It's sweet and sugary with an addictively sharp edge." Platform Online commented that "It's catchy, and you'll most definitely find yourself 'da da da da dum dum-ing' before the end of the first chorus. The verses see Lloyd showing off the voice that she does have, which wasn't displayed within her first single, and reminds us all that she does actually have a lot of vocal talent to offer." Nick Levine from BBC Music wrote that the song is "as easy to resist as a pie cooling on your neighbor's windowsill." Jon O'Brien from Allmusic wrote that the song "is a charming M.I.A.-inspired ditty that fuses a lolloping childlike bassline with bouncy beats and some surprisingly sugary-sweet melodies, although Mike Posner's guest rap is the pure definition of 'phoned-in'."
Joe Rivers from No Ripcord agreed, writing: "It's another good, catchy song, save for a hateful Mike Posner guest spot, which paints him to be the kind of lecherous predator you pray doesn't take your daughter to prom." Alexis Petridis of The Guardian stated: "It is a far better pop single than you might expect a former X Factor contestant to dish up." Ben Chalk from MSN Music described it as "a plaintive slice of R&B-infused pop with a big fat shiny chorus, it plays to her strengths far better." Alex Denney from NME commented:
"Another perky tune with crunkin', stutterin' beats and big doe eyes on the chorus from Cher. Also features a 'soulful' turn from Mike Posner (me neither) on the middle eight, in which he talks about getting to third base with his date — possibly Cher, but it doesn't bear thinking about too much."
Juicy J version
A remixed version of the song featuring American rapper Juicy J was released on 16 April 2013 for digital download on the iTunes Store. Juicy J is not featured in the US music video, despite the remix being sent to US radio.
Background and development
The UK version of the music video for the song was uploaded to YouTube on 5 October 2011. Lloyd filmed most of the music video for "With Ur Love" in and around Basinghall Avenue, London, England. The U.S. version of the music video was recorded at "The Hollywood Castle" on 15 January 2013 in Los Angeles, California. It was released on 14 February on VEVO.
Lloyd is seen laughing with some friends as she sits in a bedroom. She then goes and walks through the streets of London with her pals as giant heart-shaped balloons float along the streets and lots of colorful little ones are released into the air. Posner is seen singing from a rooftop with the backdrop of London's skyline behind him.
In the US version of the music video, Lloyd is seen living in a large castle with her friends, who also seem to have the same supernatural powers as Lloyd. On a rainy day a couple of men are attracted to her castle and are soon invited in by Lloyd. The group sits down to a dinner together. Lloyd then puts a spell on the men for them to act more outgoing and talkative during the meal. Each of the men go to a different part of Lloyd's castle where they are seduced and enchanted by her friends. Lloyd's friends each steal essence from the men which is put in a small bottle. Lloyd and her friends put the essence in a cauldron and she casts a spell on it, which creates her ideal mate.
Lloyd performed the song on The X Factor on 30 October 2011, the day of its release in the United Kingdom. She performed "With Ur Love" along with her first single, "Swagger Jagger", on the Ukrainian X Factor on 19 November. In August 2012 it was revealed that "With Ur Love" would serve as Lloyd's third US single. Lloyd then performed the track on 30 August on Today along with "Want U Back". Lloyd performed the single live at the 2013 Radio Disney Music Awards on 27 April.
On 4 November 2011, the song debuted at number five in Ireland, becoming Lloyd's second top ten single in the country. Despite being predicted to debut at number one in the United Kingdom by The Official Charts Company, the song entered the UK Singles Chart at number four with first-week sales of 74,030 copies. The song sold more than her first single, "Swagger Jagger" when it debuted at number one in August 2011, selling 66,316 copies. "With Ur Love" also marks the highest-selling number-four single since Rihanna's "Only Girl (In the World)", which sold 74,248 copies in October 2010. It's estimated to have sold between 300,000 and 400,000 copies in total in the UK. As a promotional single in the US, it has sold over 50,000 copies.
|UK digital remixes EP|
|1.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Mike Posner)||3:46|
|2.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Mike Posner) (Acoustic Version)||3:45|
|3.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Mike Posner) (Alex Gaudino and Jason Roony Remix)||6:28|
|4.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Mike Posner) (Digital Dog Radio Edit)||4:28|
|5.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Mike Posner) (Teka and SoulForce Reggae Remix)||3:48|
|UK CD single|
|1.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Mike Posner)||3:46|
|2.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Mike Posner) (Acoustic Version)||3:45|
|US digital download|
|1.||"With Ur Love"||3:23|
|Juicy J version|
|1.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Juicy J)||3:45|
|US promo CD|
|1.||"With Ur Love"||3:23|
|2.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Juicy J) (Clean)||3:46|
|3.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Juicy J) (Super Clean)||3:46|
|4.||"With Ur Love" (featuring Juicy J) (Explicit Main)||3:46|
Charts and certifications
|Australia||28 October 2011||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||30 October 2011|
|31 October 2011||CD single|
|Germany||27 January 2012||Digital download|
|United States||28 August 2012||Digital download (solo version)|
|16 April 2013||Digital download (single version)|
- "iTunes (UK) - Music - Cher Lloyd - With Ur Love (feat. Mike Posner) [Remixes] - EP". iTunes (UK). 28 October 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "iTunes (U.S.) - Music - Cher Lloyd - With Ur Love (feat. Juicy J) - Single". iTunes (U.S.). 16 April 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- Corner, Lewis (2 November 2011). "Cher Lloyd interview: 'I won't let myself be a one-hit wonder'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "With Ur LovebyCher Lloyd". Songfacts. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "iTunes (DE)". iTunes (DE). 17 January 2012. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- Copsey, Robert (4 August 2011). "Cher Lloyd interview: "People will eat their words"". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Corner, Lewis (15 May 2012). "Mike Posner interview: 'Cher Lloyd is an incredible singer'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Stern, Bradley (21 September 2011). "CHER LLOYD UNLEASHES RIRI-RIFIC SECOND SINGLE: "WITH UR LOVE (FEAT. MIKE POSNER)"". MuuMuse. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Music - Review of Cher Lloyd - Sticks + Stones". BBC. Retrieved 2012-01-13.
- Barnes, Charlotte. "Review: Cher Lloyd - 'With UR Love'". Pop Fodder. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Petridis, Alexis. "Cher Lloyd: Sticks + Stones – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Copsey, Robert (30 October 2011). "Cher Lloyd ft. Mike Posner: 'With Ur Love' - Single review". Digital Spy. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- "Single: 'With Ur Love' by Cher Lloyd". Platform Online. 31 October 2011. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- St. Asaph, Katherine. "The Singles Bar: Cher Lloyd, "With Ur Love" ft. Mike Posner - Popdust". Popdust. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Rivers, Jon (11 November 2011). "Cher Lloyd: Stick + Stones - Music Review - No Ripcord". No Ripcord. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- Chalk, Ben. "Albums of the week: 7/11/2011". MSN Music. Retrieved 18 June 2012.
- Denney, Alex (26 November 2011). "Cher Lloyd, Sticks + Stones' - First Listen". NME. Retrieved 17 June 2012.
- Cherlloydvevo (5 October 2011). "Cher Lloyd - With Ur Love ft. Mike Posner". YouTube. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- "Cher Lloyd debuts sweet and girly With Ur Love video with Mike Posner". Metro.
- Cherlloydvevo (14 February 2013). "Cher Lloyd - With Ur Love". YouTube. Retrieved 6 December 2017.
- Kirsty Mccormack (31 October 2011). "Glad to be back: Cher Lloyd looks excited but nervous as she returns to the X Factor stage a year later to perform her new single". London: Daily Mail. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Jones, Alan (7 November 2011). "UK Singles Chart analysis: Professor Green's Read All About it sales dip 44%". Music Week. Retrieved 7 November 2011.
- "With Ur Love by Cher Lloyd feat. Mike Posner (CD Single): Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. 31 October 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "iTunes (U.S.) - Music - Cher Lloyd - Sticks and Stones - With Ur Love". iTunes (U.S.). 2 October 2012. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Cher Lloyd - With Ur Love (CD) at Discogs". Discogs. 16 April 2013. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- "Australian-charts.com – Cher Lloyd feat. Mike Posner – With Ur Love". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Ultratop.be – Cher Lloyd feat. Mike Posner – With Ur Love" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Chart Track: Week 44, 2011". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Charts.org.nz – Cher Lloyd feat. Mike Posner – With Ur Love". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2011-01-17.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2012-02-26.
- "FDR Dance+ Singles - November 6, 2011". 6 November 2011. Archived from the original on 11 November 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2011.
- "Cher Lloyd Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2012 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "New Zealand single certifications – Cher Lloyd – With Your Love". Recorded Music NZ.
- "British single certifications – Cher Lloyd – With Your Love". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Enter With Your Love in the search field and then press Enter.
- "With Ur Love - EP by Cher Lloyd - Download With Ur Love - EP on iTunes". iTunes Store.