Within the Ruins
|Within the Ruins|
|Origin||Hampden County, Massachusetts|
|Genres||Metalcore, progressive metal|
Within the Ruins founding members Joe Cocchi and Kevin "Drummer" McGuill started the band during 2003. The band went through some line-up changes and finally began working on their first self-released EP entitled Driven by Fear which was completed in 2005. Followed by the release, the band began touring in late 2006 in an effort to gain exposure and label recognition. With the release of their second EP Empires through Innerstrength Records the band received an offer from Victory Records. The band's debut album Creature was released in February 2009, followed by their second official release entitled Invade. Invade was released in September 2010, selling over 3000 copies in its first week. The band has most recently toured Europe with Carnifex and has been part of a number of 2011-12 festivals thus far including the Bonecrusher Fest, the Jamboree, New England Metal and Hardcore Festival, the Bamboozle, South by Southwest and 2011's the Summer Slaughter Tour. In support of the Summer Slaughter Tour the band released a 4-song EP entitled Omen. The EP consists of 2 new original songs and a cover of Metallica's "Fight Fire With Fire" and Kansas' "Carry On Wayward Son". In 2013 the band signed with new label eOne Entertainment and released a third album called Elite.
On April 20, 2014, vocalist Tim Goergen was hospitalized in the band's hometown of Westfield, Massachusetts with "heart/liver complications". As a result, the band was forced to miss a scheduled appearance at the "Eat Your Heart Out Fest" in Poughkeepsie, NY while touring in support of fellow deathcore mainstays Whitechapel.
The band released an official statement on the occurrence via their Facebook page:
"Yesterday morning Tim checked into a hospital here in Western Mass for a second time since our tour began four days ago. We will unfortunately not be performing at today's Eat Your Heart Out Fest, as we are waiting for clarity on Tim's condition and release. Tim informed us a few weeks before leaving for tour that he was experiencing chest and stomach pains. After his first doctor visit he was advised to "take it easy" if he did do the tour. At this point all we know is that he is experiencing heart/liver complications, will not be released today, but is stable."
Tim's recovery necessitated the band canceling the rest of their scheduled tour dates. On their Facebook page, the band released an official statement:
Unfortunately, at this point we have no other option but to withdraw from the remaining dates of the Whitechapel tour. Tim will be released tomorrow, but due to the seriousness of his condition he has been advised not to engage in any strenuous activity while recovering over the next few weeks. We apologize to any fans that were looking forward to seeing us, but Tim’s health comes first. We WILL be back out this summer in support of our forthcoming album. The rest of the shows are still happening so be sure to make it out and support our friends in Whitechapel, Carnifex and Cruel Hand. See you all this summer!
On February 15, 2015, while traveling through Pennsylvania in support of Suicide Silence on "The Stronger than Faith" the band were involved in a serious bus accident. Extreme winter conditions resulted in the band's van and trailer flipping several times on the interstate. None of the band members were injured, however their gear was completely destroyed.
Speaking on the incident, Joe Cocchi stated:
"We rolled about three times from what I can remember and landed on the median. Our van and trailer are totaled.".
"All I can say is that we're happy to be alive. I don't know how, but none of us were injured. We're on the road touring because this is all we know and love, and we want to continue. Help us get back on our feet by picking up a shirt. Thank you all for the continued support.”
The band created a Gofundme page in order to help pay for the damages to their equipment.
On November 21, 2016, Within the Ruins announced their fifth full-length album, Halfway Human, and debuted a single, "Death of the Rockstar". On March 3, 2017, the band released Halfway Human. The album debuted at number 191 on the Billboard 200, selling 4,025 copies in its first week..
On February 24, 2018, it was announced vocalist Tim Goergen would be leaving the band following his final performance with the band at the 2018 New England Metal and Hardcore Festival on April 21. His replacement would be Steve Tinnon.
|Within the Ruins discography|
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart|
- Driven By Fear (September 11, 2006) Innerstrength Records
- Empires (July 10, 2008) Innerstrength Records
- Omen (May 24, 2011) Victory Records
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- All in Merch Tour- Within the Ruins, Sworn In, Reflections, Legion
- The Sick Tour- Chelsea Grin, Attila, Betraying the Martyrs, Within the Ruins, Buried in Verona
- Crush Em' All Tour- Veil of Maya, After the Burial, Misery Signals, Within the Ruins
- Summer Slaughter 2011- The Black Dahlia Murder, Whitechapel, Darkest Hour, Six Feet Under, Dying Fetus, As Blood Runs Black, Oceano, Fleshgod Apocylapse, Within the Ruins, Powerglove
- Names Mean Nothing Tour- Carnifex, Oceano, The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, Within the Ruins
- No Way Out Tour- The Acacia Strain, Within The Ruins, Xibalba, Fit For An Autopsy, American Me
- The Canadian Invasion- Texas in July & Within the Ruins
- The Recorruptour- Whitechapel, Miss May I, After the Burial, Within the Ruins, The Plot in You, Structures
- South of the Border- All Shall Perish, Oceano, Within the Ruins, Obey the Brave, Reflections, Betrayal
- Northeastern/Canadian Tour- The Faceless, Within the Ruins, Rings of Saturn, Abiotic, Today I Caught the Plague
- April 2014 Tour- Whitechapel, Carnifex, Within the Ruins, Cruel Hand
- Summer Slaughter 2014- Morbid Angel, Dying Fetus, The Faceless, Thy Art is Murder, Goathwore, Fallujah, Within the Ruins, Decript Birth, Origin
- 2014 Merch Now Tour- Whitechapel, Carnifex, Within the Ruins, Cruel Hand
- Tomorrow We Die Alive Tour- Born of Osiris, Thy Art is Murder, Betraying the Martyrs, Within the Ruins, ERRA
- Good Fight North American Tour- The Contortionist, Within the Ruins, I Declare War, Reflections, City in the Sea
- European Winter Tour- Within the Ruins, I Declare War, Aversions Crown
- Russia 2015 Tour- Within the Ruins & I Declare War
- The Stronger Than Faith Tour- Suicide Silence, Emmure, Within the Ruins, Fit For an Autopsy
- The All-Stars Tour 2015- Upon A Burning Body, Dance Gavin Dance, A Skylit Drive, Iwrestledabearonce, Within the Ruins, Oceano, Dayshell, Come the Dawn, Chasing Safety, Conquer Divide
- Japan Tour 2015- Within the Ruins & ERRA
- 2015 Canada Tour- Texas in July & Within the Ruins
- Decade of Despair- Carnifex, Within the Ruins, Lorna Shore, The Last Ten Seconds of Life
- Mexico 2016 Headliner- Within the Ruins & Lack of Remorse
- European 2016 Tour- Within the Ruins, Fit For an Autopsy, Phinehas, The Last Ten Seconds of Life
- The New Reign Tour- Born of Osiris, Volumes, Oceans Ate Alaska, Within the Ruins, Fire from the Gods
- Saved by the Breakdown Tour- Upon A Burning Body, Within the Ruins, Kublai Khan, Coldcasket
- June 2017 shows- Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Volumes, Within the Ruins
-  Victory Records signs Within The Ruins
- Within the Ruins at AllMusic
- "Within The Ruins Vocalist Tim Goergen Hospitalized". metalsucks.net. 21 April 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Within The Ruins frontman hospitalized". lambgoat.com. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Within the Ruins drop off remaining Whitechapel datesMetal Insider". metalinsider.net. 23 April 2014. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "WITHIN THE RUINS Involved In Horrific Van Crash; Forced To Miss Two Dates of Tour - Metal Injection". metalinjection.net. 16 February 2015. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- "Within the Ruins – Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Within the Ruins – Chart History: Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Within the Ruins – Chart History: Independent Albums". Billboard. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Within the Ruins – Chart History: Top Rock Albums". Billboard. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- "Within the Ruins – Chart History: Hard Rock Albums". Billboard. Retrieved June 4, 2014.