|Dutch limited liability company (B.V.)|
|Industry||sharing economy, tour guide|
|Matthijs Keij (CEO)|
Marijn & Willem Maas (Co-founders)
|Products||Private tours, local travel experiences|
Withlocals is an experiential travel company that connects travellers to local hosts who offer private, personalised tours. Describing itself as trying to achieve "mass personalisation" rather than offering group or package tours, Withlocals is cited as an example of the role and impact of the sharing economy on tourism – particularly culinary tourism – and the consumer trends for "authenticity" and "experiences".
Founded in 2013 by brothers Marijn and Willem Maas in Eindhoven, the Netherlands, the company was supported by startup accelerator Greenhouse group. it obtained $500,000 seed funding from Digital Equity group and a grant from the Horizon 2020 program. It began operations by specifically targeting a market for sharing home cooked dinners across seven countries in Southeast Asia. It later received received Series A funding of €3.5 million ($4.3M) in 2017, at which time it reported to offer 1,200 tour options with 900 local hosts in 24 cities – having changed focus to personalised tour guides. In 2019 it secured Series B funding of a further €8 million at which time it was active in 30 cities. Both rounds were supported by Dutch investment company INKEF Capital and the latter by Keen Venture Partners. A priority of the latest round of investment is to improve the Software localisation and range of tours offered in languages other than English. As of mid-2019, Withlocals has more than 50 employees.
As of mid-2019 the Withlocals platform has hosts offering tours in the following cities:
- Cambodia: Phnom Penh; Siem Reap
- Hong Kong
- India: Kochi; Mumbai
- Indonesia: Bali; Jakarta; Yogyakarta
- Japan: Kyoto
- Malaysia: Kota kinabalu; Kuala Lumpur; Penang
- Nepal: Bhaktapur; Kathmandu
- Philippines: Cebu; Manila; Palawan
- South Korea: Seoul
- Sri Lanka: Colombo; Galle; Kandy
- Taiwan: Taipei
- Thailand: Bangkok; Chiang Mai; Chiang Rai; Nakhon Sawan
- United Arab Emirates: Abu Dhabi; Dubai
- Vietnam: Hanoi; Ho Chi Minh City; Hoi An; Hue; Nha Trang
- Belgium: Antwerp; Bruges; Brussels
- Croatia: Dubrovnik
- Czech Republic: Prague
- Denmark: Copenhagen
- England: London
- France: Paris
- Germany: Berlin; Munich
- Greece: Athens
- Hungary: Budapest
- Ireland: Dublin
- Italy: Florence; Milan; Naples; Rome; Venice
- Poland: Krakow; Warsaw
- Portugal: Lisbon; Porto
- Scotland: Edinburgh
- Spain: Barcelona; Madrid; Palma De Mallorca; Seville; Valencia
- The Netherlands: Amsterdam; Eindhoven
- Turkey: Istanbul
- "Withlocals lets you travel like a local in Kuala Lumpur, with personalised tours". Australian Financial Review. 2017-11-22. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- Coldwell, Will (2016-10-17). "Regional know-how: the best websites for contacting local guides". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 2019-11-04. Retrieved 2019-11-04.
- "Withlocals to become the global leader in personalized travel experiences". Travel Massive Blog. 2019-04-04. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- "Bye-bye mass tourism, hello healing touch". www.eyefortravel.com. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "Serie-ondernemer Marijn Maas scoort 3,5 miljoen voor Withlocals, om in te spelen op het einde van massatoerisme". Sprout (in Dutch). Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "Withlocals' data-driven approach to private tours impresses investors | PhocusWire". www.phocuswire.com. Retrieved 2019-10-21.
- Agapito, Dora; Alemida, Hugo de; Campos, Cláudia (2016). "Sensory perception and co-creation in rural tourism experiences". In Kastenholz, Elizabeth; Carneiro, Maria João; Eusébio, Celeste; Figueiredo, Elisabete (eds.). Meeting Challenges for Rural Tourism through Co-Creation of Sustainable Tourist Experiences. Cambridge Scholars Publishing. p. 51. ISBN 1443898317. OCLC 957317911.
- Gökdeniz, Ayhan; Erdem, Barış; Dinç, Yakup; Uğuz, Sabriye Çelik (January 2015). "Gastronomi Turizmi: Ayvalık'ta Yerli Turistler Üzerinde Görgül Bir Araştırma" [Gastronomy Tourism: An Empirical Study on Domestic Tourists in Ayvalık]. Journal of Tourism and Gastronomy Studies (in Turkish). 3 (1).
- Vallbona, Montserrat Crespi; Pérez, Marta Domínguez (2016). "Los mercados de abastos y las ciudades turisticas" [Food markets and tourist cities]. PASOS. Journal of Tourism and Cultural Heritage (in Spanish) (2 ed.). 14: 403.
- Carter, Jamie (2018-08-01). "Three apps and websites that offer travellers a local experience, and make sure money you spend benefits people on the ground". South China Morning Post. Archived from the original on 2019-11-04. Retrieved 2019-11-04.
- Mody, Makarand; Koslowsky, Kyle (2019-03-20). "Panacea or peril? The implications of Neolocalism as a more intrusive form of tourism". Boston Hospitality Review. 7 (1). ISSN 2326-0351.
- Kovacheva, Alexandra; Lamberton, Cait (2018). "Whose Experience Is It, Anyway?Psychological Ownership and Enjoyment of Shared Experiences". In Joann, Joann; Shu, Suzanne (eds.). Psychological ownership and consumer behavior. Cham, Switzerland: Springer. p. 197. ISBN 9783319771588. OCLC 1034551562.
- Maurer, Oswin (2018). "Tourism and food: Necessity or experience?". In Beeton, Sue; Morrison, Alison (eds.). The study of food, tourism, hospitality and events: 21st-century approaches. Singapore: Springer. p. 30. ISBN 9789811306389. OCLC 1040694357.
- "Reisplatform Withlocals uit Eindhoven haalt 8 miljoen euro groeikapitaal op". ed.nl. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- Verstegen, Gert-Jan (2017-10-11). "Eindhovense startup Withlocals haalt 3,5 miljoen euro op" [Eindhoven startup Withlocals raises 3.5 million euros] (in Dutch). RTL Nieuws. Archived from the original on 2019-11-04. Retrieved 2019-11-04.
- "With $500K in Seed funding secured, Withlocals wants to localize the travel experience in Asia". StartUp Beat. 2013-09-23. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "Withlocals". Crunchbase. Retrieved 18 October 2019.
- "Withlocals connects travelers with locals through food and shared experiences". EASME - European Commission. 2017-01-09. Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- "Withlocals Co-founder Marijn Maas Aims for 10,000 New Home Dining Spots Across Asia". Siam Startup. 2014-05-16. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- M, Valentina (2016-01-13). "Viaggi autentici con le esperienze WITHLOCALS". Viaggiare Libera Turismo Sostenibile (in Italian). Retrieved 2019-10-22.
- "Travel experiences marketplace Withlocals picks up $4.2M in Series A funding". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "Withlocals walks away with €8M to support peer-to-peer experiences service". PhocusWire. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "Withlocals haalt €8 miljoen aan groeigeld op". Innovation Origins (in Dutch). 2019-03-05. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "Withlocals". Inkef capital. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "Withlocals". Keen. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "Withlocals, a Dutch travel scaleup raises €8M to expand into more cities". Silicon Canals. 2019-03-06. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- Taylor, Chloe (2019-09-04). "These are the top 10 start-ups to work for in the Netherlands, according to LinkedIn". CNBC. Retrieved 2019-10-17.
- "All cities". www.withlocals.com. Retrieved 2019-10-21.