Bury Lane, Withnell village centre
|Population||3,498 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Withnell is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Chorley, Lancashire, England. According to the census of 2001, it had a population of 3,631, reducing to 3,498 at the census of 2011. Withnell is about 5 miles (8 km) north-east of Chorley itself and about 5 miles (8 km) from Blackburn.
It constituted an urban district from 1894 to 1974. It was originally called 'Withinhull' around 1160, later appearing as 'Withinhulle' in the 1332 Subsidy Rolls of Lancashire, meaning 'a hill where willow trees grow'. It borders the villages of Brinscall and Abbey Village which are part of the parish.
Withnell Local Nature Reserve, designated as by Chorley Borough Council, roughly traces the path of a now disused railway cutting for around 600 yards (550 m). Since 1966, a large number of wildflowers, native trees and heathers have been planted in the 12-acre (4.9 ha) site. The public are free to walk through the reserve.
There was formerly a Post Office, closed on 8 May 2008 as part of the Post Office Network Change Program. A newsagent continued to operate from the old Post Office premises, but closed a couple of years later and was converted to private housing. There is a GP surgery for Withnell and surrounding village, a pharmacy, beauty parlour and a car sales garage.
Withnell railway station served the village, but it closed in 1960.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Withnell Parish (E04005161)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 27 May 2019.
- "Withnell Nature Reserve". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Map of Withnell Nature Reserve". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "St Paul Church of England, Withnell, Lancashire genealogy". GENUKI. 19 February 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Date set for post office closures
- "Find services - NHS Choices". Nhs.uk. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- https://www.lep.co.uk/your-lancashire/chorley/barcelona-s-iconic-basilica-de-la-sagrada-familia-built-with-stone-from-lancashire-1-9145096. Retrieved 2 May 2018. Missing or empty
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Withnell.|