Bury Lane, Withnell village centre
|Withnell shown within Lancashire|
|Population||3,498 (2011 Census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Withnell is a village and civil parish in the Borough of Chorley, Lancashire, England. According to the 2001 census it had a population of 3,631, reducing to 3,498 at the 2011 Census. Withnell is about 5 miles (8 km) north-east of Chorley itself and about 5 miles (8 km) from Blackburn. It constituted an urban district from 1894 to 1974. It was originally called 'Withinhull' around 1160, later appearing as 'Withinhulle' in the 1332 Subsidy Rolls of Lancashire, meaning 'a hill where willow trees grow'. It borders the villages of Brinscall and Abbey Village which are part of the parish.
Withnell Local Nature Reserve, designated as by Chorley Borough Council, roughly traces the path of a now disused railway cutting for around 600 yards (550 m). Since 1966, a large number of wildflowers, native trees and heathers have been planted in the 12-acre (4.9 ha) site. The public are free to walk through the reserve.
There was formerly a Post Office, closed on 8 May 2008 as part of the Post Office Network Change Program. A newsagent continued to operate from the old Post Office premises, but closed a couple of years later and was converted to private housing. There is a GP surgery for Withnell and surrounding villages, a village grocer's shop, a fish and chip/Chinese takeaway, beauty parlour and a car sales garage.
Withnell railway station served the village, but it closed in 1960.
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Withnell Nature Reserve". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Map of Withnell Nature Reserve". Local Nature Reserves. Natural England. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "St Paul Church of England, Withnell, Lancashire genealogy". GENUKI. 2013-02-19. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
- Date set for post office closures
- "Find services - NHS Choices". Nhs.uk. Retrieved 2014-02-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Withnell.|