2002 Hardcover edition
|Publisher||Bantam (UK), Putnam (US)|
|9 May 2002|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover, Paperback)|
|LC Class||PS3553.H4838 W58 2002|
|Preceded by||Echo Burning|
Jack Reacher arrives in Atlantic City, New Jersey, after hitching a ride with a couple of aging musicians. He is accosted there by M.E. (Mary Ellen) Froelich, a beautiful agent of the United States Secret Service who has managed to track him down. She has a special request for him. She wants to know how he would go about killing the Vice-President-Elect. Countering those methods would help her considerably in her job of protecting the Vice-President-Elect. Reacher accepts the challenge and enlists old colleague Frances Neagley to help carry out the mission. Froelich asked Reacher's assistance on this matter because of suspicious threatening letters which had been sent to the Vice-President-Elect that had been intercepted by his protective team. Together, they attempt to find the ones responsible before they can carry out the assassination.
- Jack Reacher: hero, brother of Froelich's former boyfriend Joe.
- Mary Ellen (M. E.) Froelich: U.S Secret Service Agent in charge of V.P.-Elect Brook Armstrong's protection detail.
- Frances Neagley: Jack's colleague, now a private investigator; A member of Jack's former Army unit, the 110th MP Company.
- Brook Armstrong: Vice-President-elect of the United States
- Stuyvesant: Froehlich's supervising agent at the US Secret Service
Awards and nominations
- Without Fail information page on Child's official website
|This article about a thriller novel of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See guidelines for writing about novels. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.