Witjira National Park
|Witjira National Park
IUCN category VI (protected area with sustainable use of natural resources)
|Nearest town or city||Oodnadatta|
|Established||21 November 1985|
|Area||7,715.07 km2 (2,978.8 sq mi)|
|Managing authorities||Department of Environment, Water and Natural Resources|
|Website||Witjira National Park|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Witjira National Park is a protected area in the Australian state of South Australia about 987 kilometres (613 mi) north of the Adelaide city centre. The national park was proclaimed in 1985 to "protect Australia’s largest array of arterial springs: the nationally significant Dalhousie Mound Springs complex". In 2007, it became the first protected area in South Australia to have formal joint management arrangements between its traditional owners and the Government of South Australia. The national park is classified as an IUCN Category VI protected area.
The extent of land occupied by the national park was gazetted as a locality in April 2013 under the name 'Witjira'.
- "Protected Areas Information System - reserve list (as of 25 November 2014)" (PDF). Department of Environment Water and Natural Resources. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Witjira National Park". Gazetteer of Australia online. Geoscience Australia, Australian Government.
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (see 'DETAIL' tab)". CAPAD 2012. Australian Government - Department of the Environment. 6 February 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- "Witjira National Park Management Plan 2009" (PDF). Department for Environment and Heritage. May 2009. pp. I & 1. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- "Search result for "Witjira (LOCB)" (Record no SA0067224) with the following layers selected - "Suburbs and Localities" and " Place names (gazetteer)"". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- "Dalhousie Homestead Ruins, Witjira National Park". South Australian Heritage Register. Retrieved 12 February 2016.
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This South Australia protected areas related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|