From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the park in Blackburn, Lancashire, see Witton Country Park.
Low Queen Street in Witton Park
|Witton Park shown within County Durham|
|Population||3,323 (ward, including Witton Park) (2001 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||227 mi (365 km) SbE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||BISHOP AUCKLAND|
|Fire||County Durham and Darlington|
|EU Parliament||North East England|
Famous people born in Witton Park
- Brigadier General Roland Boys Bradford VC—youngest ever Brigadier General in the British Army at 25 (see the Bradford Brothers website for more information)
- Hebrew scholar Dr. Thomas Witton Davies raised and educated in Witton Park
- Henry Bolckow, the German partner of Bolckow Vaughan became a Member of Parliament as did Witton Park (and later Bishop Auckland) tradesman Ben Spoor.
- Lord Essenden (William Lewis) world shipping magnate was born and lived in Dents Villas.
- "Area: Escomb (Ward): Key Figures for 2001 Census: Census Area Statistics". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- A detailed study of the impact on the village of the 'Schedule D' status conferred on Witton Park by the 1951 Durham County Plan, which banned new development and enforced housing demolition, a 1979 MA thesis by R Snowdon: http://etheses.dur.ac.uk/10107/1/10107_6901.PDF?UkUDh:CyT
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Witton Park.|
|This County Durham location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|